albino bristlenose question

yellow

an albino is an albino, its always a morph of an animal , there is no such thing as an albino species,all the albino animals in existance originated from 1 animal in the distant past , and the owner realized that the animal was unusual and bred from it,this doesnt matter if its a fish bird rabbit or dog. albinos in nature dont usually survive for long with the exception of humans(roy orbison, jonnyand edgar winter)but i remember years ago in england an albino blackbird turned up in our garden, it only lasted a few months before a kestral got it , but for years after blackbirds turned up with patces of white on them.so good luck with your albino bristlenose i think there still expensive though, and by the way albinos are usually deaf but i dont expect this would worry a fish much

what i mean is are the albino bristlenose a morph of the common bristlenose or are they a relative of the bristlenose like a peppermint brislenose.if you bred a common bristlenose with a peppermint you have a hybrid.now what im asking is if you bred a common bristlenose with an albino would you get a mixture of the two parnets or would you also have a hybrid.just a thought.may i also piont out at this stage i have no intention of doing this just curious is all.

At this stage I have no idea if the albino BN around are the same species as my commom BN. Would be very nice if they were !

At the moment I am flat out getting a 50% survival rate with albino BN.

An outcross to normals might give me a more robust line.......If they are the same species.

Some times I think they are, other times I have my doubts!

There is only one way to find out and that will take a couple of years a least. So visit this site in 2006

Alan

Hi Guys,

I beleive that the albino bn are the same species as our normal coloured ones as I have a albino male breeding with a normal .....first time the eggs were kicked out of his cave with only 1 normal bub surviving.....the female doesnt carry the albino gene so I will have to work with their fry to get albinos,

Below is a link to a pic of my albino boy when he was much smaller,

My MSN pics

HTH

Christian

any albino animal bred with a normal animal will give some albinos and some normals but i think 2 albinos will produce all albino offspring, its also possible for a normal coloured animal to carry the albino gene IF one of its parents are albino---i think!!! (help are there any genetisists out there) certainly some animals are pre disposed toward albinoism rabbits ,axolotyls,ferrets etc but one thing is for sure your albino bristlenose is a normal bristlenose with the colour gene missing

This is very simplified, but if we call a normal BN AA (dominant genes) and albino aa (recessive genes) then

1/ a cross between a normal and an albino will give 100% normal coloured fish with the dominant gene expressed and the recessive gene hidden = Aa

2/ Albino to albino will give 100% albino = aa

3/ Normal colour carrying albino gene to normal with albino gene will give 25% albino = aa, 25% normal =AA, and 50% normal colour carrying the albino gene =Aa.. The problem is, you cannot tell the normal AA fish from the normal coloured fish carrying the albino gene Aa with out breeding trials.

4/ An albino crossed to a normal carrying the albino gene gives 50% albino = aa and 50% normal colour carrying the albino gene = Aa

In 1/, 2/, & 4/ we know the exact genetic make up of all the fry regardless of colour. In example 3/ you cannot tell the normal AA fish from the normal coloured carriers Aa.

So two generations to get improved albino stock

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

A punnett square is a good way to explain this:

AA=Normal BN

Aa=Normal BN carrying albino gene

aa=Albino BN

This is AA X AA

....A....A

A AA AA

A AA AA

All offspring are normal BN

This is Aa X Aa

....A....a

A AA Aa

a Aa aa

1 AA

2 Aa

1 aa (albino)

any albino animal bred with a normal animal will give some albinos and some normals but i think 2 albinos will produce all albino offspring,

This isnt always the case.

aa (albino) X AA will produce

....A...A

a Aa Aa

a Aa Aa

All these offspring have the albino gene, but none are albino

ay- ay- ay thanks discusdude. that makes it much clearer blink.gif

laugh.gif It took me half and hour to figure it out but I think I got it.

AA x Aa

A A

A AA AA

a Aa Aa

- no albinos

aa x aa

a a

a aa aa

a aa aa

- all albinos

is that correct? woot.gif

just to throw this open , if we assume what i said is true that is that some breeder from years ago found a mutation in 1 fry and decided to breed from it, assuming also that this fish would not survive in the wild,is this any better or worse than breeding flower horns or blood parrots?

but the albino gene is a naturally ocuring gene,

...unless..... some entrepeneurial sod intentionally or accidentally crossbred an albino of species-x wth a normal fish of species-y then undertook a careful back-crossing strategy to remove any visible signs of species-x other than the transferred albinism.

I expect that has happened on more than one occasion. In other fields it's a quite common, if frowned upon, practice.

Laurie

$65 is actually quite expensive now for private sales, some shops are selling at that price. a good price now from private buyers would be closer to $50 I would have thought. either way the prices on these things are going down quicker than a $2.... oops, g-rated site. ok going down very quickly smile.gif

Hay gavvvvvvvvvvvvv

Hows it hanging LOL

Anyway guys don't want to put a downer on those of you that paid $$$$ for the great little critters .....

But good news for all the others of us out their wanting some of the albinos ...

If you buy bulk u will get them from $30 each ...yes $30 each YEAHHH

Now don't ask me for some as the ones i have are still young and the person i got them sold 1000s and will not have more available until after crissy or so

And i hope to have some breeding early next year !!! and when i breed them they will be $30 each or less depending on qty etc ...

Thats probably why shops can sell em at $65 zipit.gif LOL

I am not writting this to give anyone the craPs etc so please pardon if you have these guys and get the craPs ...Im not in it for the $ to me breeeding is just a challenge and i get my kicks from sharing the knowledge and challenge of breeding ...if i can cover my cost im am happy

Please don't send emails regarding these fish !! as i will not have any available until mine breed ..when they do i will post and be happy to distribute ....

I hope that this gives hope to those of u wanting some nice albinos !!! at a reasonable $$.

alan how long ago did you buy them $3000 ouch? dont think ive whittnessed a fish price rise and drop so fast? as for being cheap in the lfs, well i think the stock levels of these are way under that of the normal bristlenose and will take a long time to be at a simialar price?

Less than a year ago CS, $500 ea.

They were sposed to be long distance swimmers @ 5 t0 7cm (Pics supplied)

When I took delivery, they were just 3cm SL.. mad.gif

Survival rate was appauling. Will take some time to recoup that outlay at current prices.

But that is tne name of the game.

Alan

Less than a year ago CS, $500 ea.

They were sposed to be long distance swimmers @ 5 t0 7cm (Pics supplied)

When I took delivery, they were just 3cm SL.. mad.gif

Survival rate was appauling. Will take some time to recoup that outlay at current prices.

But that is tne name of the game.

Alan

Archived