substtute for water ager

trent

does any one know of or have a solution to not use water ager i am ne to cichlidsa and just have set up a new rack and go through the stuff like no tomoorrow it hurts the budgegt just wondering there may be nothing just checking

You could store the water in a drum or container and let the chlorine dissipate over a day or two but if the water contains chloramine which Sydney water does there's really no way of getting around it other than a conditioner like Prime or SAFE.

Cheers

Paul

Oops just re-read my post and it looks like it could be interpreted the wrong way. blush.gif

What I mean is that you will definitely need a water conditioner like Prime or SAFE otherwise your fish will get sick and eventually die.

Here's a good article which will describe it better: Article

Cheers Paul

What water ager are you using? The good stuff (highly concentrated etc) like PRIME, SAFE, or ACN shouldn't really be putting too much hurt on the wallet. Unless your changing a few thousand litres a day unsure.gif Also where are you buying it? Maybe you could find a cheaper source buying in bulk?

Guest african-au

i havn't used water ager for 9 years!

i have a 44 gal drum & i run an airstone & heater only

i add 4 table spoons of rock salt!

in a few days i use that water for my water changes

i will add salt accordingly to the different species of fish i breed & display!

water is used for

africans

american's

arowana's

natives!!

i havnt had a loss as yet

chris

chris,

sounds like you like playing russian roulette with your fish. I seriously hope you don't do a water change when sydney water do a big hit of chloromine. otherwsie you may be unlucky.

trent, I seriously recommend you do NOT try and go without a water conditioner. aeration and adding rock salt is NOT enough to remove chloramine and you run a serious risk of killing of your filter bacteria. this can result in total tank wipeouts if you are unlucky. it is worth the investment to get a good ager. you can buy a kg of safe retail for around $100 no problems. that will treat at least 40,000 litres of water. its not much for one hell of a good insurance policy. why take the risk?

IMO Prime is the go mate. From memory Prime only needs 1ml per 40-50litres of water in order to remove chlorine and chloramine. Sure it is a little pricey compared to some of the cheaper conditoners out there, but given that it lasts for thousands upon thousands of litres it is really very very cheap in the long run

Archived