disease help please!

pride

Hi,

One of my tanks has just been through a case of whitespot ( I'm a fool for not using a quarantine tank ) and I have been treating with a LFS bought whitespot remedy product plus with the addition of salt. The whitespot looks to be going but I've just noticed on my freddy that he's got some kind of pinkish white nodule type stuff poking through his scales in one particular spot. Looks to be in 3 spots in the same sort of area around that typical spot that most American cichlids have on their body(sorry, is it called the caudal spot? ). He eats fine and doesn't show any other sign of a problem. Water parameters taken this morning were 0 ammonia, 5ppm for nitrate and 7.6 ph ( these are the only test kits I have ). Does anyone have any opinions on what this may be and how I should treat this? Could this be a secondary type infection from the whitespot or possibly a type of worm? None of the other fish seem to be showing this. Your help is much appreciated...I'd hate to lose this fish.... sadsmiley02.gif

Adam

Sounds a little like a secondary bacterial infection...perhaps something like tetracycline (or even acriflavine) may be helpful. At a pinch chuck in some salt for now and add some melafix if you have it. Try the antiobiotics if the salt/melafix combo doesn't help.

merjo smile.gif

Howdy -

Caudal spots are those spots near the caudal fin (which is the tail).

I agree with Merjo - however, if it is a big fish - I'd net it out and get a cotton bud and dab the spot with mercurichrome.

HTH -

Archived