Help with my Blue Rams..

Jester

Hi all.

My two Blue Rams have just lay their first bach of eggs and im not sure how to help the little ones in raising ther fry..

Ive got two tanks. One is a 2ft 60ltr tank with 2 Clown loaches, 2 Kuhli Loaches, 2 Upsidedown Cats, 1 BN Cat and the 2 little Rams and there eggs. The Second tank is a octogon shape which 1ft diameter and 36cm high aprox 20-25ltr and it has 1 Bala Shark, 1 Black Widow Tetra, 1 Bleeding Hart Tetra and 1 angle. (all quite small).

Can anyone tell me what the next step is for keeping theas little guys?

Shoud I put the 2 Rams and eggs in the smaller tank just buy themselfs?

Will the bigger fish or parents eat the little guys?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Tanks. Jester thumb.gif

Congrats to the new parent, well done!! clap.gif

At the moment there isnt really much you can do. The parents should protect their brood from intruders but it is quite common for the parents to eat their young for the first couple of broods before they get the hang of what they are supposed to be doing. If their parents are particularly clever and figure it out first time then you may like to move just the fry in a week or two into another tank by themselves. Unfortunatley if you read the other posts RE rams you will see that they can be quite fragile, doubly so because they will still be very young.

For the future, the pair will probably be best in a tank by themselves but you may want to invest in a tank larger than your octagon if you really want to breed them properly.

Don't be disheartened if you dont get any babies to grow out this spawn, persevere!!

Good luck thumb.gif

Jester,

If it were me, I would take everything out of the small tank and empty completely. Fill up little tank from big tank.

Move eggs only into small tank with air stone in tank to keep flow past eggs. Cross fingers and see if they hatch.

All your catfish will get the eggs as soon as the lights go out.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it goes.

Stephen

The fry are toast unless you put them in a tank of their own.

As All of your tanks have fish in them, for this batch I would hatch them in a fry saver without the parents. You could float this in your main tank. This way you will be able to tell if the eggs are fertile, but the fry will be difficult to raise/feed and you may well lose them all anyway.

They usually hatch in about 48hours depending on the temperature, but are about another 3 or 4 days before they are free swimming. They won't need to feed before then, but will require very small food after that. Green water, paramecium, microworms, etc. Generally too small to take bbs at this stage.

Good Luck

Brett

Tanks for all the info everyone!!! I now have a light at the end of the tunnel. Was lossing hope by the minute for a bit.

Might get a bigger tank, but space is limited in my little unit.

Anyway i will let you know how it all pans out, and im sure i will have to fall back on you guys for some more advice.

Tanks again all. peace out LOL.gif

I've spawned rams before and the best thing to do if you want to save the fry is move them into their own bare bottom container. It doesn't have to be an aquarium, any plastic container will do, with an airstone.

What you also want to do RIGHT NOW is start an infosuria culture. Some ppl say rams will eat bbs from birth, some ppl say no.. my experience is that they won't, and they are too small to even eat microworms...

So either find a pond with lots of green water to feed them the first couple of days, or culture some infosuria...

Good luck, they are a great fish, and you must be taking good care of them to have them spawn. smile.gif

Hi mtchye...

Tanks for all the info. sounds like you have done this more than a couple of times.

Im very new to fish keeping let alone breeding them so you will have to help me out with a few thing if you dont mind.

How big does this container have to be???

Can you help me out with some of the terminology... infosuria culture???

If you could help me out that would be great. ty smile.gif

Jester, here is some terminology that may help you..

BBS = baby brine shrimp..

Infosuria = is a microscopic name for organisms like protozoa, euglena, etc. that are excellent and most often necessary first foods for tiny fry fish.

Like mitch said, green water from a pond will do fine..

HTH.. thumb.gif

Hi all..

Well its a sad story for my little Ram eggs. sadsmiley02.gif As you said gingerbeer, woke up that mournig and thay had gone and there was a very guilty looking BN catfish.

Im not giving up hope yet. Ive taken your advice ginger and transferd the two Ram into my octogon tank by themselfs. Only did this today and they look happy but time will tell.

Tanks everyone for your help. Was lost without ya.

Ill keep you all posted. Jesse thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Hi,

I've used little tupperware containers, anything really.. ice cream containers work too. This is of course if you move the eggs only.. parents won't be too happy in a tupperware tongue.gif

Problem with the container method is you need to change the water at least twice daily. This is because its such a small volume of water, it pollutes really fast. Its much easier if the parents can take care of the fry, and I'd give them a chance in their own tank first.

Another thing you can try to improve your hatch rate is to use really soft water. You can do this by collecting clean rain water, using reverse osmosis water, or using distilled water. You might want to do this if your tap water comes out really hard, because a high hardness seems to impede the hatching of ram eggs somewhat.

I guess first of all since you've moved them give them a chance and see what happens... they will continue to spawn regularly even if they are unsuccessful raising the young anyway.. smile.gif

Good luck

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

My Ram are getting used to their new tank but they have lost alot of there colour.

I was thinking this is beacuse they have just spawned and hopeing they will flair up again when they spawn.

Im going to leave them alone this time and see what happens.

Ill keep you posted

Jesse cool.gif

Hi,

Sounds like you are doing really well. Don't worry, I'm sure they will perk up soon, sometimes my rams take up to a week to really get comfortable. One thing you can do which most dwarf cichlids LOVE is drop a serve of clean blackworms into the tank.

If your water is well oxygenated the blackworms will live for weeks in there, and the fish will eat all day, anytime they are hungry. I usually do this and they spawn within a week or two. I just don't do any water changes for the 2 weeks and then a large one with soft water...

This will also have the double effect of softening the water so that the eggs have a better chance of hatching.

HTH

Vincent

Archived