Prime an Eheim 2213 Filter.... HOW?

deane

I bought a 3 foot tank from someone on this forum along with a Eheim 2213 filter.

I have tried everything, i empty it out then i let gravity fill it (its already hooked upto the tank) and still it makes a crap noise and hardly pumps.

when i lower the exit tube it pumps really well but still makes a bad noise.

Any suggestions?

Oh yea its all clean and at the correct heights.

Cheers

Deane

Just trying to tip the canister on its side or upsidedown while it is running to bleed out the entrapped air you will see it come out through the spray bar.

Neil thumb.gif

tried doing that, same sound, no pressure

Although I did notice that when it tipped it upside down there was air that collected at the bottom of the canister (it was point up though cos i was holding it upside down)

I am just wondering if it is somthing like the imprella that is stuffed.

The air is just making the impeller cavitate once it ccomes out the outlet you will hear the water take up flow also try to have the hoses vertical so the air makes an easy escape.

I have a 2213 myself and worked it out,easiest if it is below the tank . Mine was noisy till it was bleed

Neil

hmmm...if you have air in the filter when it is upside-down you must have air in the canister when it is right-side-up.

Following that logic it would appear to me that perhaps the tiny hole, next to the impeller-hole may be blocked. It is essential that this small hole is cleared to allow the air trapped in the impeller-hole to clear.

HTH

This is the way I do it.

1. Drain the filter and the outlet hose (Spray Bar).

2. Prime by opening the (already primed) inlet tube. Wait for the water to push the air up the out let tube.

It should now be primed. Any additonal air in the cansiter will come out when you start the filter. Some times the impeller is a bit rattely while the extra air comes out but you should have water flow immediatly.

Works for me every time.

Note: No water flow and a lot of noise could mean a stuffefe impeller

did you or any previous owner ever take it apart to change/repair parts? Could it be that you put the taps on backwards or have your wires crossed hehehe? Ie you have water going into the pipe where it meant to be coming out from and water coming out of the pipe where it is meant to be going in?

This happened to me once blush.gif but i soon relaised what was going on and corrected it.

Mike W

Archived