What would i need to do to save fry?

mcandros

Hi everybody

i have a question that i would like to ask about saving dwarf fry from being eaten and also ways to prevent them eating their eggs.

Would it be good to put a container in the tank with small holes in which the fry can swim into to be safe or would you say that it is a good idea to take the eggs out incase the parents eat the eggs and put them in a floating containeter at the moment im trying to breed apistos and kribs i already have several krib fry but having trouble with the apistos.

For more successful spawning with apistos would it be a good idea to put peat in the water or just age the water for a couple of weeks and lower the GH somehow?

If anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

Andrew thumb.gif

Well Andrew,

You don't tell us a lot. What Apistos are you breeding? What are your water stats? What sort of aquariun set up are the breeding fish in ? Have they spawned ? Did they eat the eggs ? Did the eggs hatch but the fry get eaten? what other (if any) fish in the tank?

Idealy you need a 50 liter tank (minimum for any dwarfs), a pair of fish, a spawning site, quite a bit of cover in the way of plants etc. because the female will just as likely kill the male post spawn. All the quality food they will eat ( preferably live food) and the patents will look after and school the babies like you would not believe.

Alan

Hey thanks for that info

i am breeding A.Macmasteri,A.Cacatuoides,A.Aggassizi,N.Anomala,Kribenis at the moment the kribs have fry.

They are in a tank 60cm l/40cm h/30cm w the PH is around 5.0-6.5 for all the tanks.

All have spawned at least 4-5 times already.

They are in a planted tank with whole lots of java moss and spawning moss. I am buying more plants and driftwood soon.

Andrew thumb.gif

Hi Andrew -

The parents will look after the fry as Alan says - so they dont need cover from the parents. I'd recommend (as Alan has) individual 50-80 litre tanks per species. Lots of plants (java fern and java moss), lots of cover and lots of small water changes.

For softwater sensitive species RO water is best - however, water softened with peat will also work. Be aware that not all Apistos are necessary from extremely soft acidic water.

HTH -

Archived