F2 lab hongi

Guest african-au

Guest african-au

ok to my knowledge there are two types of P-hongi yellow and orange

i have two lots of F2'S

the yellow variety were yellow when young now slightly orange fins with bright yellow belly

yet the orange variety are almost the same, possibly slightly more orange on fins but actually still with a bright yellow belly!

i have fed both the same food but there is realy not much difference between the both varieties!

hhhhhmmmm makes me wonder?

can anyone verify the difference

regards

chris

a) what is a P-hongi?

b) if you mean Labidochromis sp. "Hongi" then IMO the varience is caused by line breeding, and people choosing their stock for different traits. I think the 'yellow' generally go orange once mature, but have a less intense orange? I have never seen adult 'yellow' hongi.

Im thinking youre right Ducksta and he means the lab. hongi. Maybe he got confused because it has the typical mbuna shape and thought it was a pseudotropheus hongi? And as for two different kinds, Im going with the line-breeding theory aswell. Also, the colour will lean towards orange or yellow depending on diet, a factor that I doubt presents itself in the wild

Guest african-au

yes i meant lab hongi

i agree fish can present themselves differently over different substrate

mine are both eqivalent substrates!

i have always been confused over yellow & orange lab hongi & i am lead to beleive over the years that the yellow lab hongi does eventualy change to orange as mine have!

if anything they are only slightly lighter in orange!!

food intake has been spirulina & once a week fresh krill!

cheers

chris

Perhaps with Hongi, as with MOST fish, colour will change over time from infancy to adulthood. Most of the larger Hongi I have seen have orange on their heads so it is entirely possible that the aussie stock carries this trait. That being said, I would still put it down to line breeding and diet as major factors. As you know spirulina and krill both enhance golds/oranges/reds to some extent, so perhaps if you indeed did want to focus on that yellow you could change their diet somewhat for a month or so and see what happens. Otherwise just enjoy the orange cool.gif

to my knowledge there are two types of P-hongi yellow and orange
...hmmm, this subject of 2 L.hongi varients has been raised B4. At that time someone posted a quote from Ad Konings which basically said that the 2 colours, yellow and orange, were synonymous with the species.

This means that there is no difference in the wild and there is no sereration of the species by yellow or orange dorsal colour...there is only Labidochromis sp. hongi, not Yellow top hongi or orange top hongi. Just hongi.

I have noticed the yellow changes to orange in dominant males as they mature and as Ducksta said the selective breeding of the more orange specimens will mean the increase in the orange trait....personally speaking this is the colour mix(purple and orange) that first attracted me to Lab sp. hongi.

HTH

Guest african-au

mazimbwe i have seen the same quote by ad conings!!!!!!!

and i do agree!! but cannot locate quote by ad conings!

as i would definetly use ads quote to LFS

as adult hongi get larger they tend to sway towards the orange side!!!

my yellow hongi have been yellow from young and only as sub adults to adults the yellow on fins became slightly orange!!! but obviously they were a different batch & i do breed them seperately by batches!

as i didnt want to mix the 2 lots of f 1's

(((problem is when i sell my fry to LFS they are asking the questions!)))

yellow or orange? rolleyes.gif

its become a pain as i have been breeding lab hongi ever since they arrived & i am seeing for myself that lab hongi is well-- basically orange & some slightly less orange!

but just for my own sanity i thought i'd ask the question and see the responses

thanks to all

chris cool.gif

...problem is when i sell my fry to LFS they are asking the questions!
Have you been dealing with the same LFS for a long time or is it a new/business arrangement? Usually if you explain that;

"As a dedicated Cichlid Enthusiast I do reserch B4 breeding/getting fish and all the text I have seen points to the synonymity(a word? lol) of the colour variation within the species...but I would be happy to see any published opinion that offers a different perspective to the question."

Or something similar...that will put the ball back in their court and is totally accurate.

HTH

Guest african-au

my dealings have been the same lfs

i have explained to the best of my knowledge as a cichlid enthusiast

and especialy regarding lab hongi

although a lot of fisho's are told of to variants of lab hongi

but having been breeding lab hongi for so many years.

i beleive the majority lab hongi are orange fin & the yellowish which eventualy becomes orange would be a different bloodline! not as bright!

thats my theory!

anyway thanks to all for your opinions & knowledge!!

cheers

chris

ps'blakeyboyr krill actually enhances gold & yellow!!!!

i have experimented many times with food & spirulina has been hongi's diet from young,orange has remained the same brightness!

but with krill on occasions, only brings up a beautiful bright yellow belly!!!

thanks to all

cheers chris thumb.gif

Archived