Got some dwarf cichlids

Lepperfish

Hey all, i got some gold rams today, just 2. there in a community tank with 2 pepper corys, 2 panda coreys, 4 bumble bee gobies, 3 neon tetras and a kuhli loach.. smile.gif

Hi Lepper -

Congrats on your purchase. I dont want to be negative... but I always found rams (blue or gold) quite tricky to keep. I've got my fingers crossed for you smile.gif. If you dont have any luck with them in the short term - I'd recommend virtually any Pelviachromis species or bolivian rams instead!

All the best with your new acquisitions -

Thanks YeW.. Ill take any advice/critism I can get.. thumb.gif

I was just in my LFS today and saw them, they were the only ones that really appealed to me so I bought them not knowing anything about them at all..

I will you keep you posted with their progress though.. smile.gif

LF -

It wasnt criticism wink.gif. More a heads up, rams are often raised in Asia with large amounts of antibiotics in the water - they tend to not last long in "real" situations.

I'd also recommend lots of plants wink.gif. These are part of the reason to keep dwarfs IMHO!

HTH -

Hi Lepperfish.

I too tried the Rams for my introduction to dwarf cichlids and found that the only ones that are still alive are the gold rams. So hopefully yours will also make it. smile.gif

They are very pretty and get even nicer with age. I have a lovely big male that is covered in bright neon blue markings which look great against his yellow body.

Yep.. My rams seem happy and vibrant at this stage..

Before I got them, I cleaned out my tank.. Changed the gravel with less coarse - finer - gravel and flly serviced my UG filter ect..

I added a pair of baby bristlenoses in there 2 and all seem well..

I think im going to start up a new 2 foot tank and get some dwarfs in there..

Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...

Well its happened..

One of my gold rams has passed on into fishy heaven..

For whatever reason I dont know.. Will get another one and see what happens..

My 1st one is still looking good, healthy and happy.. thumb.gif

Lepper -

Sorry to hear about your loss - I'd still recommend replacing your lost fish with a pair of bolivians instead (great fish and most underrated).

Alternatively you could try your hand at Nanacara anomala - a stunning fish that is perhaps the most underrated of all cichlids.

Hope this helps -

Yeah thanks YeW..

I have seen the bolivians in my LFS before.. I think they were around $9 each

Does that sound about right?

Is there anything I should look for when buying some?

Hi Lepper -

Yes - pick nice happy healthy ones and shop around - there is LOTS of variation in the quality (ie: colours) available.

Good bolivians - should be active, alert and full bellied. Make sure you observe the fish for a while before purchase... while they arent as colourful as blue/gold rams - the bolivians are a great fish!

HTH -

Archived