breeding salousi

mjc

hey

i have 3 salousis in a 3 ft tank 2 males 1 female. there is now a dominant male. he always trys to breed but he is still sort of yellow with black bars is there anychance of him successfully breeding??????????

G'day,

It more depends on how big he is rather then his colour. I've had sub-dom male saulosi's that were all yellow join in on spawning by swimming in fast giving a little shudder and swimming off again. I don't know wether they fertilised anything, but I don't see why not.

As far as size goes, my newer lot of little guys are probably only just hitting 5cm, and I have 2 mouthfulls already. Mind you, the male has been full coloured since he was all of 3cm long.

Tell us how big your guys are and we'll probably be able to give you a better idea smile.gif.

Mark.

At about 5-6cm. Very small mouthfuls though.

As for the colouration my males was always changing between that yellow/orange and blue. I put a second male in and now it's consistently blue. I wouldn't recommend a second male for your tank though (too small and not enough females) so probably just wait for a while and it should colour in it's own time.

Cheers

Paul

Archived