Urgent Help Needed

tricky

Hi all, come home this afternoon to find another fish dead. This is the 5th this week. Seems to be the smallest fish in the tank that are dying. Tank was fine until i put some Java Fern, small electric yellows and small Fronnies all about 4cm in it that i bought on auction night, maybe just a coincidence. Now all my other fish are gasping heavily, especially the smaller ones. I have a 6 x 2 x2 with shell grit as substrate. I run two cannister filters and two other air stones, one cannister cleaned yesterday and ammorid added. Ive done two 20% water changes in the last week. My current readings as of today 4pm are. Ammonia 0ppm. Nitrite 0ppm. Ph 7.3 - 7.5. The smaller fish are hiding underneath the driftwood and puffing very hard.

How large are the larger fish in the tank? Any chance they fear for their lives?

Alternately it is possible that you have introduced some parasite or something with the auction fish. It is really good practice to have a quarantine tank setup solely for this purpose. All of us falter on this on occasion when we're busy or overstocked, but that one in fifty time when a bag is contaminated, it really brings heartache sadsmiley02.gif

There are a few other threads about fish dying for no known reason. I suggest having a read through them in this forum.

Cheers Ducksta, The fish that have died have been there for the past 6 months with the bigger fish, so that shouldnt be a drama. Im gonna move some fish into another tank, which i should of done earlier and do a larger water change and pray.

2 blue dolphins 15cm and 12cm

4 Red Empress male 15cm females 8cm

3 frontosa male 15cm females 7cm

7 electric yellow 3 - 4 cm

4 small fronnies 4cm

2 goldbars 8 cm

2 crimson tides 4cm (look like dying shortly)

6 bristlenose 6cm

Dead

4 brichardis 3 - 4cm

1 taiwan reef 4cm

Sounds to me like you almost certainly introduced some disease when you added the new fish. Possibly white spot (which sometimes doesnt manifest itself immediately as spots but is present in the gills of the fish).

As Duck said quarantining fish is very important, particularly when buying from places you are less sure about ie: auctions/shops.

Are the fish flashing? No visible marks on the fish or signs other than the breathing??

hi mate.

i'd love to think of a non-chemical treatment for you at this point, but i would recommend a dose of paragone asap. its harsh (remove any catfish if you have them) but it did the trick when i had a similar case of myseterious death.

also, or even alternately, dose the tank with salt. if it is whitespot that'll help kill it.

i am no expert however

Cheers

Grace

Thanks for the tips,

Yew, the fish are flashing and breathing heavy, they are also not eating. Rushed out yesterday afternoon and got some fluke treatment by aquamaster, not sure how good it is but was pulling my hair out and had to try something. Dosed with that and did a 60% water change. Also lost both crimson tides and 1 of the female red empresses last night. I treated for whitespot as soon as they started flashing , about a week ago. Woke up this morning, fish still breathing heavy and not eating. Flashing still a little but not as much.

Hi Tricky -

WS can take a while to root out! Make sure you repeat the does etc. Flukes sound unlikely to me given the relatively short time from the NSWCS auction.

HTH -

If WS is the problem I would follow all the previous advice but up the Temp in the tank too.

The trouble you have is the fish are all from different water-conditions so you will not have as much range for raising the temp as you might if there were no Tangs in the tank. Tangs are not very tollerant of high temperatures and anything over 28c is dangerous...where as the Malawi's are more tollerant.

HTH

Thanks Yew, Grace and Maz, tempreture is about 27 so not much to play with there. No fish died today but they are still breathing heavy and not eating. They are also very unactive(probably the medication) just staying in the same spot puffing away. Do you reccomend i give them another hit with this fluke medication as advised on bottle to prevent further infestation or am i wasting my time and should try treating for whitespot again? If so how long after this fluke medication can i treat for whitespot? I will be doing another water change tomorrow afternoon and cleaning one of the filters as advised on the bottle. Sorry to be a pain but all your help is greatly appreciated as im very frustrated and depressed at the moment.

All the advice about moving the fish is spot-on, but dont underestimate the ability for plants to also carry disease and parasites. I know from my own experience that plants can act as a free-ride for any pesky little bugs that might like to chow down on your fish. Just a thought blink.gif

Hi -

I'd recommend you do a 20% water change, leave your filter(s) as it is (it gets damaged enough by the medications - you dont want to risk an ammonia spike at this point).

Once you've done the water change re-dose with your white spot medication. I doubt it is flukes sad.gif.

It is both stressful and frustrating - so it is understandable the way you are feeling.

Keep your eye on ammonia. If you dont already use malawi/tang buffers, I'd also recommend you add 1tsp of rock (or sea) salt for every 10 litres of water. Do this slowly over a day... higher salt levels help the fish heal quicker as they 1. reduce osmotic stress on the fish, 2. increase stress on the pathogens (which are less able to deal with higher salt levels), 3. increase the slime layer on the fish.

I hope things pick up for you wink.gif soon

Yew, one other thing i have noticed (especially on the yellows and solousi) is a sort of copper colour on there underside, sort of around the underside of the gill area if that makes any sense. Not sure if this is normal when they die or not.

Sounds like some kind of bleeding or inflammation. Not sure what to suggest sad.gif - often fish die when new fish are introduced, presumably as a result of pathogens (bacterial or viral) being introduced.

Archived