Cobalt blue mbuna babies and their mum

JJHamer

What seems to be my only female of 5 fish (I have crappy luck with these things) has managed to bring a batch to full term on her second mouthful. I have her in a 26 gallon tank with the fry at the moment, but I am a bit worried about how she will go with them. Things are looking OK for the moment, but should I remove the mother just for safety's sake?

not sure of the history of them but if u find that the mother doesn't take care of them well i would recommend u strip them and put the female back into the tanks, but shoudl wait minimum about 2-3 weeks before u strip or u will have fry with egg sacs still attached which is hard to keep most alive for many ppl.

goodluck

If you have her in with her own fry (i think that's what you meant) then I wouldn't leave her in too long. Malawi mum's tend to have awesome brood care for a little while, then they'll decide enough is enough and try to chase them off. If they can't get away she may end up killing a bunch. As long as they're eating I would remove her, they will be fine on their own as long as there is nothing else in there that can hassle them.

Mark.

Archived