Possible Group Buy - Piranha LED Light Strips

GRK-351

Hey guys, I have noticed a few posts lately regarding LED tank lighting and I thought I'd show everyone the system I am using that I get off a mate who imports the lights direct.

I have the lights setup on my display tanks, and I will soon be setting them up on my breeding tanks.

Basically, the lights come in 0.5m 30 LED (RRP $25) and 1m 60 LED (RRP $50) units. They feature high powered Piranha LED globes that are super bright. The units are 2.4 watts and 4.8 watts respectively.

They are completely sealed in epoxy and are water resistant and are only 14mm wide, 10mm thick. They have positive and negative wires already fixed at both ends of the unit so you can piggy back more units onto each other to get the required length/brightness. They also have a strong 3M adhesive tape already mounted to the back of the strip so you can stick it to your hood etc.

The lights can be powered off any dedicated LED driver from Jaycar etc, or I can possibly organise a group buy for 24W drivers if people are interested.

As I said, I run these lights on my 6ft and 4ft display tanks. I have 4x1m and 4x0.5m (total 30 watts) on my 6ft tank and they are super bright and easily penetrate 2ft deep water with no light fall off at the sides of the tank. The lights are powerful enough to generate a strong shimmering effect in the water that is more pronounced with more surface movement, so I direct my spray bars upwards to agitate the surface of the water.

I think 1 strip is plenty for a breeding setup, you can even get away with a 0.5m strip on a standard 4ft breeding tank. For display tanks it is personal preference to the brightness that you like.

Here are some images of the light units, and some comparisons on my 4ft tank between standard fluoro, 1x0.5m strip, 1x1m strip, 2x1m strips, so you can see the difference in lighting.

IPB Image

1 x standard 4 foot fluoro light

IPB Image

1 x 0.5m 30 LED strip - 2.4W

IPB Image

1 x 1m 60 LED strip - 4.8W

IPB Image

2 x 1m 60 LED strip - 9.6W

IPB Image

4 x 1m 60 LED strips + 4 x 0.5m 30 LED strips = 28.8W OVERKILL!!!

IPB Image

This is just a photo to show the light units themselves with a quicky wiring job that I need to fix up, I was just checking that everything worked ok.

IPB Image

This is the lights pointing upwards to a 3m ceiling height during the afternoon, you can see how bright and white they are!!

Feel free to ask any questions and post your interest (if anyone is interested in a group buy). I am happy to organise the numbers through my friend and post the units to any location (at your cost). Also, let me know if anyone is interested in drivers. The more light units people want, the cheaper I can try to get each unit. Hopefully get it down to $30-$40 for each 1m strip.

I am also able to professionally wire up the lights with crimped connectors/soldered joints and add switches etc to your speifications for an extra fee.

So what do you guys all think?

Mat

I am very very interested in these. i actually like the falloff on either end of my 6ft tank so how would 2 or 3, 1mtr strips go? i also really want that shimmering effect.

anyway just thought id register my interest. even if a group buy doesnt happen im wondering how i can go about getting these lights.

matt

I can get 20-30watt drivers with 2yr warranty for about $10-$20 plus postage. You can calculate the wattage based on how many strips you want then work out how many drivers you need.

I'd say get 3 for a 6 footer, that way you can stagger them if you want to balance the light. It will give the best shimmer if you increase the turbulence on the water surface, the easiest way is directing a spray bar upwards to create small waves.

wow these look really good. Nice :thumb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived