BioBall Question ...

superbad0417

Agree with citypainter, bio balls for wet and dry. Put some noodles or coral in your filter instead. If you know someone with some already established this would be good as they will be full of good bacteria.

Bioballs are relatively ineffective in cannister situations. They work in situation where there is high levels of oxygen in semi submerged conditions such as wetdry filters or trickle filters.

Perfect answer :thumb

I wouldn't neccessarily say trickle filters are like a sump filter. A sump can be where a trickle filter is located though.

Trickle filters are designed so that the water is passed over and trickles through media such as bioballs and because of the high surface contact with air it is has high levels of oxygen which encourage aerobic bacteria to thrive increasing the rate of nitrification.

Essentially they consist of a water source that pumps water to the top of a set of trays where the water the trickles though the trays a relatively fast rates.

now i understand a little better thanks guys.

no bio balls for the canister filter

is purigen an alternative

YES purigen Is definitely an alternative, bearing in mind it does need to go through a time consuming recharge Process every 2-3 months depending on stocking levels. It will keep water crystal clear and is a great product.

Alternatively I would just get a good quality bio media to fill the cannister: eheim, matrix, or siporax.

Hth

Lava rock does the trick too, i had a box of lava rock from a setup i shut down and i use it in all my filters works a treat probably the cheapest too.

Cheers Mark~

It is a chemical filter like activated carbon. I find purigen polishes the water but it also removes other stuff.

As others have said purigen is not bio media. It will not house enough bacteria to process ammonia.

For bio media I have noodles, bio balls, matrix and dead live rock (came with tank). The dead live rock was used to cycle the tank and produced an almighty nitrite spike. Not to be added to an existing tank.

what does purigen actually do whilst in the filter ?

They also work well in an internal filter & they are submerged.Lots have a few in them these days, but agree best in sump's etc.

You have noodles, carbon & sponge ( purigen ok as well) in your filter now so why do you need the bio balls? if you have spare space more noodles etc would be the go.

Archived