Breeding Firemouth cichlids

Evo

Great choice! Firemouths were the first cichlids i bred about 20 years ago, and i seem to see fewer of them around now than i did then, as with many Americans. I do have a soft spot for them, and still have one in my display tank. What sort of info were you after? Their habits and preferences are much the same as most other Central Americans of similar size, though they are perhaps not as aggressive as some such as convicts, salvini and JD's.

T. meeki is a beautiful fish and one that seems to go o.k. in a community tank (kept with suitably sized tank mates). They are a pretty hardy cichlid and not to difficult to keep and breed it is surprising that we don't see more of them around. :dntknw:

I saw an adult pair for sale today in St George Aquariums for $200 :shock:

well just looking on what the habitat should be set up with along with the temperature of the water and what fish they are kept with.

Well firemouths are very adaptable but they like to dig and fine gravel is ideal. Live plants will get torn up or uprooted. Typical setup includes driftwood and rock piles. Temp in the range 24-27. They are pretty hardy and you should not need to play around with pH or hardness but if you are looking for ideal it would be slightly alkaline and moderately hard. Since they are not overly aggressive there is a wide range of potential tankmates, so long as they are not overly timid or highly agressive or small enough to get eaten. IMO the ideal mixed setup is with other small-medium central americans. There are quite a few, some easy some not so easy to get hold of. Someone today was advertising blue eyes (A.spilurum) in the classifieds which would be ideal tankmates. The type and number of tankmates will impact on breeding success/fry survival. I had 2 pair in a 4 fter, with a piece of driftwood in the centre as a territorial marker. Was fun watching all the posturing and bluff over territory. Had more fry than i knew what to do with!

cheers!

Another thing, in my experience i have found them to have somewhat sensitive digestive systems, and i have lost a few to internal infections. I believe it is best to stay away from unprepared foods like raw meat or even earthworms that may harbour bacteria. Sticking with high quality prepared foods like NLS might save you some hassles (and give good colour too!).

My firemouths are regular breeders and quite happy to breed in my communitte tank and feel that a prepared food of prawns peas and spinach ground up in the food procesor has been a contributing factor along with high filtration rate and water changes keeping nitrates to below 25 mg/liter, but like all things patience let your fish decide , its not up to you.

Good luck :thumb

Hey just while wear on the subject, does anyone know how to sex them?

As they mature the males develop longer dorsal and anal fin extensions, and generally a bit more colour.

Another clue is that, when in a group, the males will be the ones that are more constantly trying to establish dominance and displaying their throat membranes.

Archived