Enclosure for stimson python

hph

I'm about to purchase a juv stimson (waiting for the import permit) and was wondering on the suitability of housing it in one of those small repti-one cages which measures about 40cm(w)x40cm(h)x35cm(d) with 2 sliding glass doors.

My concerns with these cages are : overheating due to its relatively small size and the attachment of a hidebox since it's all glass. Can I get away with using a heat mat ?

This is my first snake and I want to make sure everything is ok prior to bringing it home. rolleyes.gif

Gday Hph,

Firstly, welcome to the reptile hobby, you will find it fascinating and you will love it. Not to mention get addicted to it.

About the enclosure, NO good mate.

How big is the snake? how old is the snake?

Let me know this info then i can steer you in the right direction.

cheers, Alan.

If you're getting a hatchy that enclosure maybe a bit too big and it may escape thru the gap in the sliding glass doors.

A heat mat would be ok to use on 1/3 of the tank floor. U want the hot end being about 35 degrees and the cool end about 25 degrees.

a hide box is essential. Put one at the cool end and one at the warm end so it can move between hides to thermoregulate.

I'm currently keeping blueys and have had netted dragons and turtles in the past but this is my first foray into snakes.

The stimson I'm getting was hatched last December and have had seven feeds to date. It looks approx 25-30cm from the photo.I've not seen it except from photos because its owner is located in SA.

I'll prob just buy an 14inch tank and a heat mat for it if the reptileone is cage is unsuitable.

Do pythons need to bask like the lizards ?, also can the hide boxes/hollow logs be placed on the bottom or up near the top of the tank ?

Thanks for the advices.

cheers

Hong

Thats pretty small and it should have been fed more than seven times in the last 9 months sadsmiley02.gif

Childrens/stimsoni pythons recieve a lot of their heat from warmed rocks not from basking so it is ok to use a heatmat. U wont find it readily basking under a light if it is exposed.

They are also ground dwelling in their habits and are commonly found on rocky outcrops and caves so there is no need to have an elevated hide.

When they are juveniles they hide in a crack of a rock and strike at any animal small enough to eat so a hide/small enclosure is essential when young.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the stimson last night from the airport. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

The only drama was it getting stuck on a piece of ducting tape that was holding up a vine in its cage. Didn't hiss or look like striking when I was slowly freeing it from the tape.

Hi hph,

I'm sure there are a few raised eyebrows over the use of duct tape in the enclosure... Remember, it's powerful stuff and the young Stimson could damage itself quite easily. You should secure things with aquarium grade silicone. Also, don't forget that silicone fumes are not crash-hot for the juvie either, so move him to a separate container for two days while you affix whatever you need to secure.

Other than that, congratulations on acquiring your little python! We wish you the best of luck with it - and should you ever need to know anything, just ask.

Cheers mate,

Andrew.

*insert naughty statement here* LOL.gif

No need to change the original statement.

Alan was only kidding about what idiot would put ducting tapes in a snake cage. wink.gifrolleyes.giftongue.gif

Thats right my friends, t'was me who put the tape in.....but when i used it, i had no problems....hmmmm maybe HPH didnt like the set up and changed a few things here and there...LOL Oh well, its all good now. clap.gifthumb.gif

Yes boys, I know. Still, we're very nice people on this forum and as such we say nice things... hehe

Who feels all warm and fuzzy? laugh.gif

Hope you're coming to the meeting tonight - it'll be a beauty! wink.gif

Andrew.

I have read that small python only needs to be placed in a tupperware container, layered with paper and twigs. This being the case, how would I maintain a comfortable temperature with the appropriate humidity? Obviously a heated mat or rock will not work in this case.

Heat mats are used with the plastic containers, to regulate temperature and humidity. "Habistat" is the better product in this area. The mat is placed over about 1/3 of the container's surface area, creating a thermal gradient, whereby the animal can choose its desired temperature.

Personally, I prefer to set juvies up in vivaria, rather than plastic containers. I firmly believe they can be better cared for this way.

Breeders use the plastic containers to save on space when they're looking after MANY animals, but if you are looking after one animal, set it up in a vivarium.

Cheers,

Andrew.

I have read that small python only needs to be placed in a tupperware container, layered with paper and twigs. This being the case, how would I maintain a comfortable temperature with the appropriate humidity? Obviously a heated mat or rock will not work in this case.

Also, to help you out Oracle, sydney has a great humidity average for keeping reptiles. Not once in my enclosures have i had to go out of my way to bump up humidity, and every shed (sloughed skin) my snakes have had have been 100% intact. but if you are still worried about it, just place the animals water bowl a bit closer to the warm end of the vivarium and it should do the trick.

Also, with my smaller snakes, i have them in tupperware type containers with newspaper on the bottom for better hygene and easy maintanence with a small branch for them to climb on, a hide and a small water dish. (bottom of a powerade bottle cut off about an inch and a half from the bottom)

I would be quite happy for you to come around and check out my enclosures for some ideas if you like. You know im only around the corner from you so anytime you want to check them out, just give me a buzz.

I feel one of the best ways to learn this herp stuff is to see it first hand from other herp keepers.

Also, as Andrew said, tupperware containers are an easy solution for people with many smaller/younger snakes, but if you only have the one, then it wont take much time at all to adjust to a nicely setup vivarium. And a very well furnished one is always nice on the eyes!!! And yep, habistat is the way to go for heatmats and even thermostats when you start using them.

Cheers, Alan.

Thanks Andrew and teamsherman for your advice. Personally I prefer the look of an enclosed vivarium but have read conflicting stories on how to best care for young snakes. Some articles advise that young snakes be placed in tupperware containers whereas others (like yourself) have suggested vivarium.

Teamsherman, I would very much like to look at your setup if possible as it's much better to see real-life setups. I will confirm a time with you once I get myself organised. Thanks for your offer.

Oh well... In for a penny, in for a pound... hehe Oracle, so that you have wide-ranging perpective, you could come and have a look at my setups too...

Alan, if you like, you could come with him on the same day he checks yours out - that way, it'll still be fresh in the mind. You haven't seen the new place yet, and I think you'll be suitably impressed! What a huge improvement it is on that awful place I was in! Luckily, I'm a lot closer in now... Makes things MUCH easier.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew and teamsherman for your advice. Personally I prefer the look of an enclosed vivarium but have read conflicting stories on how to best care for young snakes. Some articles advise that young snakes be placed in tupperware containers whereas others (like yourself) have suggested vivarium.

Teamsherman, I would very much like to look at your setup if possible as it's much better to see real-life setups. I will confirm a time with you once I get myself organised. Thanks for your offer.

No worries Oracle, anytime your ready just give me a buzz.

And Andrew, that sounds good mate, id love to tackle some of your beasties!

Archived