Substrate: Lime/Marble/Shell (014)

We all know the positive effects of shell grit.

It certainly is worth having in Africans tanks.

I was just wondering what the adverse effects might be over time.

I know that when it is breaking down it can have a fowl smell.

Is there any side effects that rotten shell grit can cause?

Like scratching or scraping.

Does vacuming allow the totally broken down grit to escape?

All comments welcome

I wouldnt think it would have to much of a bad effect as that is what we use as gravel in our sea-horse tank, it has been that way for ages (years) and it doesnt affect them, the gravel vac, should get any "crap" out!

HTH

I have had shell grit in my tanks for many years and have never had any problems with it becoming smelly as you put it. laugh.gif

Providing you keep up the regular tank maintenance, gravel syphon etc of course.

The only thing with it is that the shells slowly dissolve into the water so after a number of years or less, you will have less shell grit than when you started.

This isn't a problem as that it why we put there in the first place.

John.

Effects of shell grit over time

As far as I am aware, it doesn't affect time at all LOL.gifLOL.gif

I agree with what John has said above. Shellgrit is an inert object and the only downside of having it in my opinion is the gunk that may be allowed to accumulate in it, which is controlled by gravel vac anyway. I think that may be the foul smell you are referring to.

Shellgrit is an inert object

...not true. Shell grit is far from an "inert object". It is almost totally composed of calcium carbonate (very basic composition...as in acid/base) that will buffer water by dissolving as the pH drops. Inert objects are non-reactive in water and do not affect the chemical properties at all wink.gif

As far as getting "smelly", I have never encountered this...the only way that I can see this happening would be if it is not turned over or "sifted" through regularly.

merjo smile.gif

i think the "fowl smell" is probably either dead chickens, or more likely anaerobic bacteria caused by an over deep gravel bed , if you have a deep gravel bed it must be turned over with a stick or gravel cleaner weekly, one upside is that anaerobic bacteria remove nitrate.

So you use shell grit to keep the ph of the water up especially in african cichlid fish tanks? Can You add the shell grit after you have water in there? Also do you have to sift the shell grit like gravel before putting into the tank?

Is there any specific shell grit to look for, cause im putting african cichlids in my tank this week and some info would be useful, cheers.!

Hi Lepperfish,

If you don't want to add the shell grit into the gravel bed, you can always fill a box filter with it, this will then do two jobs for you it will act as a filter and also buffer your water. It will also give you the option of removing the shell grit in the event that you want to return to softer water species some time in the future.

Once it has been added to the gravel it is there forever, IMO it is well worth considering the box filter, as long as you can hide it out of view if it is a display tank.

As Reddevilman has said you can buy it from any produce supply outlet also as mentioned make sure you wash it well.

John.

I have a ehiem classic filter, how would a box filter coincide with my current filter?

Im going to put cichlids in the tank, but If I did decide to change to a softer water species I would always be able to get new gravel or susbtrate and it would be fine huh?

SO if Im adding the grit to my current setup do i just wash well and add into the water or ??? Any hints would be appreciated..

Get a box filter

fill it with shell grit

connect it to air pump

put it in tank

Alternately go to the DIY section of www.sydneycichlid.com and you can make a box filter, it is under "ice cream tub filter" or something.

Archived