fish that i can catch and put in a tank

BLACKBAR

ive always wanted to go out and catch some freshwater fish that i can throw into a tank not just gambusia i mean with my rod and reel any good spots in sydney to catch some nice sized freeshwater fish dont really know much abou natives so i dont know what species exist in sydney

I don't know of any locations for freshwater fish, but do be aware that you would face the wrath of Fisheries if you don't follow bag limits and size limitsNSW Fisheries FW Baglimits.. In most cases, those sizes equate to a huuuge tank for you to keep those.

I had a long dialogue with them about this earlier this year in respect of marine samples that I was interested in that seasonally appear in Sydney (on a catch, study and release basis). There are research permits, but they are moderately difficult to get for various reasons.

In short, they view capture of specimens for aquariums in much the same way they view catching one to eat, imho.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I was under the impression (from whats on my fishing liscence) that if a species of fish HAS a listed bag and/or size limit then it is illegal to keep fish smaller than those sizes, but if a fish does not have a listed limit then it can be captured at any size, burt i think there is a default bag limit they use for the generic fish (ones that aren't caught often enough to be listed).

What this means is if a fish isn't listed under fisheries size limits you can catch and keep small specimens. Or get a dirty great big tank and put anything you can catch in it!

ive always wanted to go out and catch some freshwater fish that i can throw into a tank not just gambusia i mean with my rod and reel any good spots in sydney to catch some nice sized freeshwater fish dont really know much abou natives so i dont know what species exist in sydney

I've been fishing for bass up the lane cove river in a kayak, but they are doing some major construction work there now.

And you're not allowed to fish from shoreline. But yeah there's some reasonable sized ones up there around the 45cm mark. :^:

I'm not sure where else in metro sydney you'll find them in natural waterways.

There is another place near Box Hill that have a dam stocked with some natives and they charge you to fish there.

I've been fishing for bass up the lane cove river in a kayak, but they are doing some major construction work there now.

And you're not allowed to fish from shoreline. But yeah there's some reasonable sized ones up there around the 45cm mark.

I was under the impression that Lane Cover River (at least upstream of the weir) was a 'catch and release area only' area owing to it being part of a natural spawning ground. I have some vague recollection of the signs around the place...

Cheers - OziOscar.

I was under the impression that Lane Cover River (at least upstream of the weir) was a 'catch and release area only' area owing to it being part of a natural spawning ground. I have some vague recollection of the signs around the place...

Cheers - OziOscar.

you might right on that one.

I never took any fish home from there as I don't eat fish :lol:

There's alot of koi/carp there too :blink

Just thinking - there are lots of fish (European Carp, Bass, etc) in Manly Dam. It seems to be restocked on a regular-ish basis.

I don't know the regulations for that place, but it might be worth checking out. However, I'm sure that size and bag-limits apply as everywhere else.

Just be clear on what species you're collecting as the Fisheries officers are sudden death this season, I hear.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Well with the new liscensing scheme in full swing the fisheries dept. are sure to be out in force this summer! So don't ruin your trip! They have the right to not only fine you but to confiscate anything that was used to aid in the illegal capture (i've heard of fishermen almost losing their boats, trailer, gear and ven the car used to tow the boat, he escaped in the end but for a while he thought he'd lose the lot!)

But there are heaps of naticve fish that have no legal capture laws and are perfect for aquaria, galaxias, gudgeons, perchlets not to mention those that live in the tropics. But in the creeks around the Hunter valley i've caught empire gudgeons, common galaxias and another sp. of galaxia i couldn't identify. Then there are river blackfish which i think are not to hard to catch, i've heard of fishermen getting good catches in the Nepean river. Check your laws and buy a butterfly net, run it through the reeds in any creek you find, betcha find something you never thought was there!

Flathead? WOW!! You're an ambitious man!!

One of my catch in March was 32" TL!!

Keeping that would be a 4500 l tank by my guesses... and lots of poddy mullets for dinner. ;)

Cheers - OziOscar.

And it's a tank you would be fighting hard to keep your mates from throwing some 2/0 Gamakatsu on some nice Berkeley Vanish leader into. ;)

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived