Substrate: Sand (011)

Hello, I am putting my large oscars, GT and black belt in their own large tank and converting my 6fter into a nice malawi setup. I was wondering if beach sand would increase the hardness and ph to a level the malawis would not like or if it would not. I am also wondering where u can find the really dark greyish limestone. Does it have a special name?

Thanks Peter

Hi Peter,

The greyish colouring of the limestone is contributed by two things. Either it was formed in a reducing environment ie. swampy conditions, thus the colour is attributed to dark compounds such as iron sulphides. Hence the limestone around Yass, for example, is greyish in colour. All limestone has a "fingerprint" and you can determine their origin by the colour displayed by them (to a certain extent). :)

The other way for limestone to become greyish is through the oxidation of the surface. The newly broken surface of limestone is creamish (pure limestone) but as it "weathers" it darkens. This also happens in an aquarium situation.

I am not encouraging you to rape the environment for sand and rocks :o , however to answer your question (assuming you already have sand that you want to use), the beach sand will not harm your fish.

Hope this helps.

merjo

Hi,

Yes - wash your coral sand, whether it is prepackaged or "otherwise gained". It is better to be sure than risk introducing unwanted guests into the aquarium. Don't forget that anything taken out of the ocean will be living ie. contain or have micro-organisms attached to it. If you must collect from the beach, please leave the live sand in the ocean where it is needed :B . Oh, and another thing, sand from beach accesses will probably contain contaminants form human activity eg. dog urine. :o

merjo

Oh, and another thing, sand from beach accesses will probably contain contaminants form human activity eg. dog urine. :o

merjo

VERY good point merjo.

Archived