Substrate: Where to find (001)

G'day All,

I am thinking of getting sand for my Tropheus tank (ie fine sand as in beach sand). On American sites they talk about blasting sand that they use that is extremely white instead of the normal yellowy colour.

My question is that can we get sand over here that is extremely white in colour (I am not talking about marble chip).

Another question I have is to people who use sand and canisters. Do you guys have any trouble with it getting sucked up by the filter and damaging the mechanics?

Thankyou everyone for your advice,

Jamie.

Guest Gutty

Hey Pdoggy wink.gif

I guess it depends alot on whether your fish spit much sand around, and what sort of currents you have in your tank, but i did have problems with sand getting into my filter motors. Not many seem to mention this so maybe i just had a silly fish that enjoyed spitting sand into my intake. They were peacocks though.......who do enjoy a bit of sand sifting. blink.gif

I've since changed to marble of about 2mm.

It did look fantastic though.

Pool filter sand doesnt really look all that white in the tank , i have a local LFS that uses it in all their tanks it looks more beige in colour.

Hi Jamie

Give Rebecca and Wayne a call At Xtreme Aquariums, they have pure white fine graded sand from Fraser Island - off Qld coast.

It is pure white substrate, but is so fine plants can't seem to anchor in it.

It will buffer the water slightly, but not as much as coral sand.

As an alternative Craig Thompson has found a local company which can supply crushed limestone in varying grades.

Not pure white though more like a light yellowy/creamy sort of colour.

Warren.

Jamie,

I got pool filter sand which is white. If I had a digital camera I would post a pic. I think it was 'boral' sand, as in made by boral, I got it from a pool shop in blacktown when I was working up there. It's courser than beech sand and I have no probs with my canister filters and sand

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

I rate garnet myself but if you have really light sand, those suction cups you buy at $2 shops are great. Stick them to the bottem (or side/front) glass, attach plants and then cover with sand. The little clear ones fold over and are great.

Trust me there is no better way to get small stands of plant's in a nice water flow tanks without rocks. Heavy sand is good but suction cups gives you freedom and are easy to hide..........

This might sound like a stupid question.. but how do you clean sand? unsure.gif

I have gravel in my tanks at the moment and I use a gravel siphon to clean it, but these would suck up all the sand wouldnt it?

Would sand get sucked into hang-on and sponge filters?

Mish

Use garden hose or slighty smaller if possible and keep it around 1 inch from the surface. It's a bit tricky at frist but you'll soon get the hang of it.

A friend also recently recommended putting some nylon stocking over the end to slow the flow rate but I haven't tried it yet.

Archived