Substrate: Sand (009)

Go the beach sand. For different colours go to the local sand/gravel supplier. Just dont make it to deep otherwise you may promote anerobic bacteria growth in any areas not regulary turned over by the fish, such as in the corners or under rocks. Sand is what they have in the lake an is soft on their mouths unlike some gravels/grit.

Guest big bad burundi

smallerfurcifer0.jpg

I dont think beach sand is a good idea,such sand should stay where it is

ON THE BEACH.Aske Ben fronty what he used he had no trouble breeding them.

Did you now Ben :)

After watching Jewel of the rift and seeing some furcifer spawn i'd have to go with sand of some sort. It's their natural environment, they'll dig a pit in it to spawn in.

Probably anything fine grained will be good, i probably wouldn't go with gravel though.........

Lata

Matt

Definately go with the sand, this is what they have in nature and they will be able to sift through it without problems.

Some people have coral sand but I would tend not to use this as there can be sharp edges on some of the coral bits.

Best of luck with your tank setup.

Cheers

Zam

Ben uses coral sand, I use beach sand. I got mine from a garden supply place and mine love it. Bens fish also love the coral, so it's personal preference and whether you want to spend $50 or $5.....

hi I would go the sand, but creek sand is better it falls from suspesion quicker as its not so fine , which means filter motors stay healthier, it not as bright as well and looks more natural. mine love it. it looks pretty cool by afternoon the sand has lots of little dimples in it from were they have been sifting for food. i keep mine about 1-2 cm deep max. they keep it turning over so it stays healthier.. also keep a few largish rocks so they can hid in them and to eventually spawn on. my 5cm foai are already gaurging rocks as territory.

If you have the money I would be going coral sand. The smallest grade you can get. My 6x2x2 has 40kg in it and the foai pick up every bit and make a pit with it. The more sand the bigger the pit.

I like sand but not for foai. I don't like knocking the males pits down to often. I a male was to build a pit and you left it there too long I think, as Andrew said, you may get anaerobic bacteria problems. But saying that Andy hasn't yet.

I think if you are going to use sand for foai, it's probably better to use fine stuff, If you use the coarse sand, there is more chance waste will make it's way down into the lower levels of the substrate. I think my setup works well because the sand packs together well and only allows waste to sit on top.

If you are sure the foai are going to build a nest straight away, you won't have too much anaerobic bacteria forming in the lower levels anyway, as the sand will be pretty clean as it is being stacked.

My decision was based on available material and cost. If, at the time, I had access to fine coral sand, I would have used it, but I needed nest material and couldn't wait a week or two, so I went around the corner and got some beach sand.

Archived