Barra's natural tankmates?

Ant

Hi there,

I have a mate with a nice barra and he's wondering what he could put with him/her. He only wants to put a fish in that occurs naturally in the wild with barra.

Anthony :8

Depending on the size i reckon he'd eat or flog anything in there, i have a young barra living with a sleepy cod twice his size, they're both N.T fish, but i'd hazard a guess that maybe archer fish could handle it, they are super fast and get upto 25cm, so they might be worth a try, on their own they are a bit skittish, they like a couple of mates. Only other thing i could thinkof would be Oz rainbows, but they'd be food!

The barra is a young fella at about 1ft long (could be more). The tank he is in is a 6x2x2. What about a spiney eel??

Anthony :8

Just sold a barra approx 11" housed with 6 x 6" salmontails and there was a mangrove jack 4" in tank along side.. The barra didnt take much notice but the jack spent the whole time trying to get at the barra .. :&

Once the barra went the jack paid no attention to the cats

i agree with E4G13M4N. barra a pretty damn messy eaters and what better to pick up after the barra than a salmon tail cat? i had 2 barra at about 1.5ft in a 6x2.5x2.5 with 3 10" salmon tail cats and they just made the IDEAL combination. the barra ate whitebait all day long and made an absolute mess, and the salmon tail cats would come along and clean up.

Archived