Source of tanks and cabinets

expat701

Hi, I’m just getting back into the hobby again after 15 years. I’m wanting to get a nice cabinet and tank.

Back when I was last keeping fish, Dalbarb were very popular, however I don’t see their products advertised anywhere. Is Dalbarb still in business?

Failing that, who makes the best cabinets and tanks in Sydney?

Thanks in advance for your advice. 

I don't know if they are the best but I've been pleased with the two tanks and cabinets I've had made at Abyss Aquarium.  They manufacture on site in Gregory Hills with pretty competitive pricing considering the quality of the work.

@expat701 Welcome to the forum and back into fish keeping. Are you looking for a display tank or a breeding set up ? I have a cade tank, its a good tank but the cost is on the higher side. You can negotiate price etc. Juwel is also very good from a quality perspective.

I have gone through this process (tank, lights, filters, heaters etc) a few months back. If you research and happy to take time, you can get a significant discounts off retail prices. 

Edited by MattG_Sydney

Hi expat,

I was searching for Dalbarb suppliers a year or so back.   Had no luck.   That was all I ever purchased if I wanted a nice stand and hood.   Assume they just went out of business.

Cheers,
Jason

• 1 month later...

OP did you end up getting a tank made, if so who did you go with?

I visited Abyss during the week for a 5ft build and was actually shocked at the price ($3800 for tank, cabinet, sump, plumbing and delivery). So am reaching out to a few other recommendations to get quotes 

I'm shocked at that price too... Quick look at gumtree shows a few bargains around in Sydney... Here's a 5 footer that was built by abyss. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/macquarie-fields/fish/cichlid-fish-tank/1265496298

Neat 3 foot with stand and sump. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lugarno/fish/cade-marine-saltwater-aquarium-fish-tank-with-sump/1264467613

If you keep an eye out on gumtree you might get lucky and get yourself a nice set up for free. 

21 hours ago, adamgatt said:

I'm shocked at that price too...

I did go back to them and they were able to drop $600 off, ill follow up from Western Sydney Aquariums tomorrow and then see who i want to put my money with.

I did see that one, the tank is only a small part of it though, there is still the stand (the majority of the cost), sump etc

On 1/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, thorpef1 said:

OP did you end up getting a tank made, if so who did you go with?

I visited Abyss during the week for a 5ft build and was actually shocked at the price ($3800 for tank, cabinet, sump, plumbing and delivery). So am reaching out to a few other recommendations to get quotes 

Their prices must have shot up a lot in the past 12 months, I didn't pay anywhere near that for mine. 

Edit - delivery usually adds a fair bit to the price, I ended up hiring a van and DIYing instead of getting Abyss to deliver

@expat701 - great to hear another person getting back into the hobby. I have outlined a few things below so you have a comparison based on what I went through, although you probably have already made your purchase:

I went with the complete kit from AquaOne - https://aquaone.com.au/2015-04-16-04-47-04/2015-04-16-06-00-17/aquariums/brilliance-2/item/2924-54111bk

Pros:

• Great quality glass, great size (6'), great lights and great cabinate/stand
  • Price was fine (just less than $2K), although I did get a discount from the store I purchased it from in Melbourne

Cons:

• Bad canister filter (Nautilus 2700) - lacks power and the lid is insanely difficult to get off (although there is a trick that helps)
  • Bad flimsy plastic covers over the top of the aquarium (poor finishing job)

Changes I made:

• I purchased an FX6 cansiter filter - so I run two canister filters
  • I changed the pipes for the Nautilus to PVC and incresed the size
  • I added an inline 1500watt external heater (so I don't use internal heaters)
  • I also plan to get a custom lid made for it

I am currently looking at converting it to a sump system, but early days.

@AndrewM  Pray tell!  What is this trick that helps get the lid off the Nautilus 2700???

I had 3 of these, and after switching one of them to an FX4 I'm amazed at how much easier the maintenance is on the FX4.

@MFF - Yes sure.

Assuming you have disconnected the section that holds the hoses to the unit and you have unclipped everything. Also assuming the canister is on the floor outside of the cabinet. You push your thumb over the outlet hole (should be the one to the right if the inlet/outlet is on the opposite side of the canister to where you are standing) - basically you want to block the outlet, so I use my thumb as it is inside the plastic housing. Then push the primer down maybe 10 times or so - be careful because water will spray out if you don't block the outlet enough. When you prime it and block the outlet, it will force back pressure into the canister, which will then force the lid to open.

@AndrewM   Thanks - unfortunately mine are the 2700 UVC versions, which don't have the primer.   Maybe I can figure out some other way of (partially) pressurising the canister instead...