An experience in anaerobic metabolism

AndrewM

Ha! you ask the difficult questions.

I was thinking of capturing a baselined of the tank in 6 months time, then take them out and see what happens over a month or two after that.  If there are any interesting differences, I will repeat it a couple of times to see if there is a correlation between any change in tank chemistry and when the rods are in or out of the tank.

What do you think, any suggestions on how I could test it?

2 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Ha! you ask the difficult questions.

I was thinking of capturing a baselined of the tank in 6 months time, then take them out and see what happens over a month or two after that.  If there are any interesting differences, I will repeat it a couple of times to see if there is a correlation between any change in tank chemistry and when the rods are in or out of the tank.

What do you think, any suggestions on how I could test it?

All other things being equal (fish stocking, plant stocking, water changes etc.) comparing nitrate readings from when the rods are in and out is probably as good as you'd get.  It won't get you published in a scientific journal but as a home experiment it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Do you think having the rods sitting on the substrate will be enough to anaerobic conditions or are you going to bury them under the substrate?