Stocking suggestions for all male peacock/hap 120g & where to buy in Syd

thorpef1

Hi all.

I'm in the middle of planning a 120g all male peacock/hap tank and im starting to put together a bit of a stocking list.
The tank will be 60 long x 18 deep x 24 high with a 36" sump pushing turnover around 10 times an hour. What stocking levels would you recommend for this?

I have had a look around and have bookmarked the below fish, seeking some guidance in regards to any that wont work and any additional ones that you recommend  (im looking for a good mix of colour)

• BLUE PEACOCK
  • Red Empress
  • ALBINO PEACOCK
  • AULONOCARA STEVENI BLUE NEON
  • AULONOCARA KORNELIAE
  • Electric Yellow
  • LABIDOCHROMIS HONGI
  • Melanochromis Maingano
  • O.B. BLUEBERRY ZEBRA
  • RED JACOBFREIBERGI FIREBIRD PEACOCK
  • RED PEACOCK
  • YELLOW PEACOCK

Also, which aquariums/breeders would you recommend within Sydney (Im based in NW Sydney)

Thanks
Luke 

Hey Luke, Welcome to the forum ! That is a very nice list of fish ... I have been dealing with Andrew @ Labyrinth Aquarium and he is one of the best places to get fish. Worth a call to him and see what he has.. even better if you can go have a look. He has the best selection of fish I have seen in a shop.

A lot of people talk very highly of him as well..

Thanks Matt & Yanke.

I have seen Andrew recommended a few times so i will be sure to go visit one day soon.

Any idea of how many i would be able to put in my tank over time?

If the filtration is good, I am sure you can put a few in the tank. I have seen people stocking 20 or so easily. The trick is finding the compatible fish as the tank and the filtration looks good to me. But I am no expert so wait for more experience folks to comment.

@thorpef1 welcome to ACE  :raisehand:

Andrew would be able to help you with most of your list

except any hybrids as he only deals in true strain species

there are also a number of breeders that advertise on Pet

link and Gumtree plus MeWe now FB has shut down animal sales

My main comment would be to make sure the filter was mature

before starting to add the fish otherwise you could experience

the ups and downs of new tank syndrome while building a bacteria

culture to handle the fish waste

consider a visit to Labyrinth at Campsie if only to have a chat with Andrew

you are also most welcome to attend meetings of NSWCS if we can get

past these Covid times to hold one in Sydney

29 minutes ago, Link2Hell said:

@thorpef1 welcome to ACE  :raisehand:

Thankyou Link2Hell (interesting name by the way)

Yes i will ensure that the tank has fully cycled before i start to introduce fish, i will be using media from my current smaller tank and will probably move some of the fish in (tetra community tank) to assist in the cycling this tank.

Is it hard to find sexed cichlids, my concern is that if it is to be an all male tank it may be a bit of a mess if a female makes its way in. Sounds like Andrew is a must visit, i can start with pure strains whilst i get the tank started and can then add others in time as i find some trusted sellers

Andrew will sex fish for you as well.. Every time I get fish (3 times in the last 6 weeks or so 😝) from him he finds what I asked for .. so give him a bell and go see him. I just received 10 Tropheus Moorii Chaitika Blue Rainbow on Monday..

Good luck with it ...

With any species you can get a rogue male, and a male that may take over the tank.  I think the ones to watch would be the maingano and hongi. Labidochromis so. “mbamba bay” might be a quieter option.

Other fish to consider in the mix are Taiwan reefs, red empress, kadango, mirror balls, white lips, blue dolphins, electric blue.

You could start with 30 fish (once your filter is up for it) and possibly get 2 males of each peacock to increase the chances of colouring up nicely.

Sounds like a great tank.  You’ll have to post pictures

Edited by brucem

Thanks Matt & Bruce, good to know that Andrew will be able to sex them.

Yes i understand that there is always the chance of a rouge male, just trying to do my research to reduce the chance of that happening.
Thanks for calling out some of those other fish, i have bookmarked some.

From my research you need to keep different looking fish, wouldnt 2 males of each peacock cause aggression?

And yes, ill definitely post some photos once i start (hopefully have it up and running by the end of the  year)