Aquari-cycline Advice please

alfettaparts

this what I found with Google

Precaution: Treatment at the recommended dose rate for three days with subsequent partial water changes has not affected the nitrification process. Prolonged treatment of mature aquariums with antibiotics however will affect nitrifying bacteria. The use of a separate treatment tank is recommended where only a few fish are infected.

Dose Rate: 1 tablet per 20L of aquarium water. Each tablet contains 375mg of Tetracycline.

Thanks Chris. I have found various information suggesting 24, 48, and 72 hour treatment times. Then a partial water change and  re-dose.

After adding the medication the tank has become quite red and my fish (only mabuna in a three foot tank) seems very unhappy. He wont eat, only moves around the bottom of the tank in one corner.

My plan has been cleaning up some of the scum from the water surface and adding a bit of fresh water. See what happens over the next 24 hours but at this stage I think another dose may kill him.

Can I ask what you are treating the fish for ? Tetracycline is an extremely effective medicine that has saved millions of people, however from what I know it very hard for even humans to handle it .. ( alot of side effects most of the time )... Good luck with it.. if it is a simple enough issue, I think Melafix would be a better alternative..  just my 2c

Edited by MattG_Sydney
  • Like 1

Hi Matt.

I have a fish that went blind at the start of the year. Just the slight hint of whiteness in his eyes but it became obvious that he had become blind due to his behavior. See my other post 'blind fish'.

He's about 6/7 years old. I always look after his tank and the water parameters have been good from what I can test. Nitrate, Ammonia, Ph, and Hardness. Was always happy and healthy.

Since I noticed his eyes where unhealthy I have been doing extra water changes and all the things generally recommended.

Now his eyes have become swollen. 

Popeye? I don't really know. I don't understand how he has an infection because I try my best to keep him happy. That's not to say I have not done something wrong.

I used the medication on the advice of the aquarium (whom where adamant that it was water quality).

I think he's just getting old. 

The medication has knocked him around but he's doing ok. I don't want to re dose. I'm thinking when the medication in the water cleans up a bit I might try to reduce the swelling with epsom salts   

Any ones opinion or advice is welcome. 

Hey mate, 

Thanks for the lengthy reply.. disclaimer, I am not an expert in fish decease.😀

If the fish has an issue with its eye and now it is swollen, it could be due to a bacteria. But given the time it happened and what is happening now it could well be something else. It could be a tumour ? 

Also the medication you are using would only fix bacterial infections. Hopefully it is nothing sinister. Also depending on the type of fish, 6 years or 7 years could be the expected lifespan ? 

Good luck with everything.. you seem to care about the fish.. that is commendable 👏

Thanks Matt. Don't worry I wont hold you responsible if he dies lol.

When you have a fish for so long you kind of get attached. 

Interesting that I found a few comments suggesting this medication doesn't work with a ph above 7.5. That would mean it's ineffective in a well kept African tank.

Also interesting that from my point of view there isn't any clear information about treating sick fish. Sort of I did this I did that, we recommend this we recommend that. 

I will just keep trying to do what I think is best but always open to suggestions.

Thanks Mate