New tank advice

pride

So looks like white lip on the cobue has disappeared and hazard a guess it could be from digging or fighting. This cobue has dug out this huge tunnel system under the rocks.

Next challenge is it looks like I have two male cobue and only 1 female who is holding and gets harrassed a fair bit.

I assume the best thing to do is allow her to spit in the tank first time around rather than strip?

2 hours ago, pride said:

I assume the best thing to do is allow her to spit in the tank first time around rather than strip?

The other option is to catch her after she has been holding for a couple of weeks and put her in a fry saver and let her spit in there.  Depending on how long she holds and how much condition she loses it might be a good idea to separate from the males until she recovers some condition.

Sorry for dragging this thread on!

So decided to start pulling down the hard scape in the tank to remove the holding female cobue. First of the fake aqua one rocks I pulled out absolutely smelt disgusting and rang some alarm bells. Smelt like rotten eggs..hydrogen sulphide I was told by Andrew at Labyrinth which I believe is normally found in deep dormant substrates. 

Some of these fake rocks had been in the tank before I jumped into a mbuna tank so with the water inside to keep them from floating must have turned bad. 
Ive decided to pull out the remaining fake rocks while keeping as much of the water inside them as possible.

All fish in the tank seem fine and female cobue now in a fry saver.

Have thrown in some dragon stone keeping it a little more simple for future separating of the females.

Another lesson learnt and don’t recommend the aqua one rocks to anyone unless keeping with herps dry.

Love this hobby

• Like 1

@pride Thanks for the replay mate .. I nearly bought some of these rocks (only reason I did not buy them was because I am only getting my tank next week - that's another story waited for nearly 3 months) .. Obviously fake stuff always have some drawbacks .. I will go with the dragon rocks and the other natural stuff I have .. 

Good luck with the fry .. 

Edited by MattG_Sydney