Cichlid suggestions for 50cm square tank

JV-Tangayika

Hi all,

I'm gettting back into the aquarium hobby and recently purchased a 50x50x50cm aquarium with the intent to create a rocky hardscape to house african cichlids. After doing some research, I realised Africans are nothing like South American dwarf cichlids but did seem to have read something about Tangayikan cichlids being more suited to a community cichlid tank environment, given the dimensions of the tank.

I was hoping there'd be some people here with more experience with these beautiful fish and could give me some suggestions on what and how many fish to stock the tank with. From my research I think shelldwellers are my best bet. 

I will be hardscaping with porous calcium rich rocks so to keep the Ph nice and high and provide the fish with plenty of hiding holes with a layout that will obscure parts of the tank for the fish to separate their territories.

Thanks in advance for your advice :))

JV

Hi JV

Welcome to the forum!

You've got a few options with a tank of that size. Personally, if that was my only tank I'd be stocking it with Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (a Tanganuikan shellie). Once the Multi colony establishes and breeds it will feel like a community itself.

If you wanted a variety of species though, you might get away with having a shellbed on one side for the Multis and a small rock pile on the other for a pair of small rockdwellers if you weren't too worried about losing the Multi fry. Julidochromis Ornatus might be a suitable option. The tank size is a bit tight though, so you might have to watch the rockdwellers if they start to pair up.

@JV-Tangayika :raisehand:  welcome to ACE forums

depends on if you want to have a single species tank which works well

for most of the small Lamprologus , Neolamprologus, Julidochromis Altolamprologus , Chalinochromis

Telmatocromis, Callochromis species that will take up the lower to mid level of the tank

or Cyprochromis Utinta , Mpulungu or Nigripinnis that use the upper level

or want to try mixing a Cyprochromis species with one of the others

i had a tank full of multifasciatus and leptosoma utinta back in the day.... they coexist very well with the multis taking the bottom half and the leptosomas taking top half... tank was very cool with always something happening 😄 a new landscape everyday

For me.. and only my opinion... in a 2 foot cube you are fairly limited. You have layers. An upper and lower. The upper is an issue, as upper can become lower in a small Tanganyikan tank. 

A 2 foot cube is a tiny tank. I had a 2ft cube years ago that was a multifasciatus  tank. The bottom was active but they were pretty aggressive even for a small fish. The top was inactive but I couldn't see an active tank mate in such a small environment. You could introduce other lamprologus species but you'd be inviting open warfare.

If I had a cube now I'd probably do one of 2 things (actually the 3rd thing is what I'd do)

First a Multi tank alone.

second  (if you had the height) would be a pair of Lamprologus ocellatus for the bottom and maybe a couple of Cyps or leptos, even though I think they deserve more space.

To me perfectly honest if I had a cube again...I'd plant it out and fit it out with some flashy neons etc

Hi guys, thank you for all the feedback you’ve given me! I really appreciate being able to give my fish the home they deserve instead of a hunger games style environment to watch over as a glorified emperor while the fish fight to the death.

I just finished the hardscape and wanted to share it as well to get your thoughts. There’s at least 4 hidey holes in between the rocks as it stands but the fish can dig through the sand and create new ones too I reckon.

I’m thinking of throwing in a few empty shells as well in the foreground but I haven’t been able to find anything close to me yet. Will keep you posted on that one.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi JV

Lovely looking tank. Now that I have seen the scape, I would suggest a pair of one of the step breeding cichlids as the way to go. IMO too much of the footprint has been taken up by the rocks to accommodate shellies + a rock dweller. I recommend a pair of any Brichardi complex cichlids as the way to go.