Nice looking light. Don't like the look of the price tag though. Ouch.

I have been using El cheapo LEDs off ebay for a couple of years now and I have been happy with them.

I recently needed a few more for my new room however with covid there wasn't much stock on ebay and what was there was now triple what I paid for it 2 years ago. As a result I bought a few spotlights from bunnings to give them a try. They're doing the job so far. 

Can't wait to see your whole set up running! 

Thanks @adamgatt I managed to get the lights for ~ $400 .. only reason I bought this light is because it is going to be a display tank.  I wanted the ability to change colors at night to be blue etc.

Tank is about 3 weeks away from what I am told... I have the canister filter running already and rocks getting cleaned and ready.. cant wait for all of it to come together 😊

Yeah fair enough! I suppose if the Council (Wife) would approve my DA for a tank in the house I'd explore the higher end options too.

30kg dragonstone and that light should look pretty epic. What colour substrate are you going with? 

Lol 🤣 council approval was not too bad.. nah, she is cool.

I am going to use sand (Pacific Coral Aragonite Sand Fine) .. have 40kgs of that ready as well.. 

Hey Folks,

Update on the Fluval Planted 3.0 light. 

As mentioned earlier I purchased a Fluval LED week and I received it yesterday. Opened the box and measured the unit as I felt it is tad too short. To my shock horror, the light can only extend to 57 inches or 145cm, not 153 cm or 60 inches. This puts spanner at works ... I am trying to get this sorted at the moment. Specifications on the fluval US website was not accurate for the Australian version of LEDs. So if you are interested in buying, be aware the length is 57 inches or 145cm with extended arms. (It seems we get the UK version as the UK specs and the Aus items specs match up)

20200722_221657.jpg

Screenshot_20200720-221039_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MattG_Sydney

14 hours ago, Chuckmeister said:

lights....I don't know why these things are so fickle..random quality and so expensive !!

Totally agreed..  its becoming a pain in the neck 

Fluval would be going back next week (sending back to the seller).. now the hunt continues. Thinking about AI Prime HD and Echotech lights now. Will keep you updated.. 

PS - Fluval light is an awesome light by the way if you have a 4 ft tank. It is easy to control and the quality is very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks, Quick update on the tank project. Now the tank is not going to be here at Sydney this week as planned. It is only going to be here at the end of Aug 🤨. Not very happy but what do you do. I can be difficult with the retailer, but that would only damage my relationship with them. So I decided to leave it.. but made it clear if the tank is not available by the end of the month, I wont be too nice. 

As for the lights, I went bit crazy 😖... Bought a pair of AI Prime Freshwater lights and mounting units. Also I bought a Fluval Aquasky 3.5 footer for one of my other tanks. Its not a display, but what the heck .. give fish some nice lights 😆.. Fluval should be here soon .. so if anyone wants an opinion, let me know.. I can give you my feedback.

All the prepared rocks and sand sitting in tubs .. now the waiting game .. 

• 1 month later...

Howdy folks, 

At last the Cade arrived.. only took 3 months 😯.. Nonetheless have set it up and filled it.. now putting some rocks and sand etc to make it look good. Plan is to put some old tank water from the two established tanks and also add the filter that was running on my other tank to get the set up running.. hopefully clycle time would be shorter... will post an update bit later..

Finally the tank is up and running (start cycling last Sunday). Filled with some of my old tank water + running the back up Fluval from my other tank to get it running. I am also using one of the internal filters as a temp measure to polish water. I need to think about the rock set up. Unfortunately I am not the most creative so need to find ideas to inspire new layout ideas. Once completely up and running it would be running with the following.

1 x FX4 

1x Fluval 307

12000 air pump (Aqua One)

2 x AI Prime HD lights 

40 Kg of coral sand

~ $40 Kg of rocks 

300W Eheim heater 

200W back up heater 

Any ideas for plants ? Tank would be a Lake Tanganyika tank with Frontosa, Tropheus and Petros (until they get big)

20200927_180221.jpg

Frontosa /Gibberosa like the feel of a cave like structure and are piscavores

Tropheus like open water with flat surfaced rocks to grazed on and are vegetarian

so require a lower protein based food to process through their long intestinal tract

Petrochomis are the same 

NLS claim their food is a balanced diet for both and it is a good food but I dislike the orange 

byproduct you are left with after it is digested in your substrate and filters

Personally I would go one way or the other depending on what species you like most

• Like 1

@Link2Hell Thank you .. I know it is a bit of a weird mix of species.. As for food I feed them NLS and Tropical food .. I know about he orange byproduct.. lets see how I go .. Decisions 🙃 

Edited by MattG_Sydney