Lake Tanganyika Cichlids and breeders

Hey Folks, 

I am in the process of settling up 2 tanks for Tangs at the moment. I have Frontosa Chumbu in one tank and the other is empty. Now is the time to look for more fish. Any suggestions ?.. Also please let me know if you are a Tang breeder or know any good breeders in Sydney. I am happy to get them shipped to Sydney as well.

cheers M 

Edited by MattG_Sydney

Hi Matt

There's a few around that breed Tangs. I think you should do some research and figure out the kind of tangs you are interested in first and then go from there trying to source them.

There's a wide such a wide variety in Tangs. I'm personally interested in the shellies, neos and julies. Other's are into the altos, sand sifters, tropheus, leptos, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamgatt said:

Hi Matt

There's a few around that breed Tangs. I think you should do some research and figure out the kind of tangs you are interested in first and then go from there trying to source them.

There's a wide such a wide variety in Tangs. I'm personally interested in the shellies, neos and julies. Other's are into the altos, sand sifters, tropheus, leptos, etc.

Hey Adam, 

Thanks for the reply mate. I know what you mean... I am definitely not looking for Tropeus as I had them before (lost them all 50 + to bloat). What I was thinking is to mix it up a bit. Have some bottom dwellers, some that like to stay on the top.. Shellie are definitely interesting.. 

I like interesting species than the readily available varieties. Also colours interest me as well. I have a 3x2x2, 4x2x3 and a 6x2.5x2.5 on its way .. so a few types I can accommodate..

Cheers M

18 hours ago, MattG_Sydney said:

Also please let me know if you are a Tang breeder or know any good breeders in Sydney. I am happy to get them shipped to Sydney as well.

It's hard to go past Labyrinth Aquarium in Campsie for both range and quality of Tangs.

• Thanks 1

Some nice big tanks you've got there to fill! You can't go wrong visiting Andrew at Labyrinth either.

I've got the below available if you're interested:

• Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil
  • Neolamprologus Mustax
  • Julidochromis Regani
  • Neolamprologus Multifasciatus
  • Thanks 1

if u like to take a drive up to new castle i have some breeding colonies of

callochroms melanolisma   7fish   looks like 2 males  5 females 

they breeded about 4-5 times so far have not got any fry yet 

and i have some 

ophthal motilapia ventralis (chaitika)  5 fish 2 males and 1 female that had 2 mouthfulls i got 6 fry out of her 

and the other 2 look like females 

Edited by yanke

@yanke Thanks mate. Driving to Newcastle might not work for me 🤣.. I was too lazy to go to Campsie.. If you ship fish, then we can talk .. They look good.. specially the ophthal motilapia ventralis..

you could try lloydashton in Brisbane for Frontosa

there is a NSWCS club member in Wollongong that has Chumbu but with no meetings allowed

at the moment it's hard to check what is available and they don't ship

• Like 1

@Link2Hell Thanks buddy ! Yes I have spoken to Lloyd. He only had WC at the moment and I didn't want to drop a few grand at this point as I am starting out. The member you mentioned located in Wollongong, I think that's who I got my Chumbu from. I have 10 at the moment. I wanted some other varieties to keep it interesting. Thanks for the reply..

we have had some Kitumba go through auctions at the NSWCS but

with iso we are waiting for meetings to be allowed again

Wollongong branch have got 13 June as a meeting date but no news

with the school at Moorebank for Sydney meetings

Cool, thanks mate. At this rate I might have to buy a lake to put all the fish I want to buy .. lol.. Thanks for the info mate. I might keep an eye out. I will be setting up a few more tanks later on (unless my family kicks me out)..cheers M

Thanks Bruce ...I assume you meant Neolamprologus caudopunctatus ? Sorry I am new to this .. hence the novice question. They are the tiny Cichlids right? 

Thanks @brucem I am thinking of getting some of the smaller types later on as I only have 2 tanks going at the moment. Looking at Daffodil, Mustax or Regani (or similar) to keep in a shared tank. When I get more tanks going probably looking at shell dwellers. 

Edited by MattG_Sydney

On 05/06/2020 at 3:05 PM, Link2Hell said:

we have had some Kitumba go through auctions at the NSWCS but

with iso we are waiting for meetings to be allowed again

Wollongong branch have got 13 June as a meeting date but no news

with the school at Moorebank for Sydney meetings

Hey Chris @Link2Hell can Sydney members attend the Illawarra meeting and put fish in? If so, is it the same rules as Sydney? I.e. 3 lots, same lot sheet, sizing, etc?

Thanks.