What food are you feeding

Foti

Hi just finished a bucket of sera fish were happy and healthy previous to that I was feeding nls there are so many brands out there now where does one start?

What out there is better than.  Thera A?

mainly as a low waste staple 

any reply is a good reply 

thank you 

I'll be interested in any responses myself. I'm back into the hobby after 10 years and using NLS cichlid regular like I did back then but curious to know what else might be recommended these days.

There are quality and less expensive alternatives to NLS and Sera available nowadays, including locally made foods.

I am not going to post details however, as there is a member with a personal agenda who will see that as another opportunity to jump all over this thread post after post daily until it becomes ridiculous as happened to another food thread started a while ago by somebody else who just wanted to let others know they had found a locally made food they liked and were getting good results with. And this member then continued the attack via personal messages on facebook and had to be blocked by myself and others.

I was disgusted with the behaviour of this member at that time and have rarely posted on ACE since as a result. 

You are welcome to PM me for further details on the foods I use for my malawis if you are interested.

Cheers, Doug

Out of curiosity I just ordered some Vitalis cichlid pellets. Described as being 'soft' pellets and have a moisture content of 20% as opposed to 10% for NLS. Anyone tried it? 

I use dainichi. I found nls my fish produced alot of waste. I now use dainichi and found them to produce as much waste and seem fat and healthy not that they didnt on nls.

I wanna give northfin a try as ive heard its really good but it seems very expensive in comparison to others.

I use the Tropical brand for all my tangs and absolutely love it. Never had such healthy fish and so much breeding with any other food i tried. It is an expensive food though.

Northfin gets really good reviews and i know a few tang breeders that use this aswell. 

I use Hikari in different sizes - float and sink depending for all Cichlids, pretty happy with it to be honest 

But i do use nutrafin Pleco logs for the my BN and pleco's as they don't fall apart like all other algae wafers i have tried 

Even my larger cichlids spit them out giving the plecos a chance at eating, everything else i have tried has been smashed before it hits the bottom 

• 2 weeks later...

I started using NLS. Good food but way too much red poop and made my filters all red. 

Went to Dainichi. Bit better than NLS. Bit better colour and cleaner filters. 

I use Northfin now. Excellent food. Colour and growth is awesome. Fish finnage actually gets longer. The best part about it is less poop as it’s only got one filler which is used as a binding agent, water and filter are cleaner than any other food. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 9:47 PM, ObsessiveCichlidDisorder said:

I started using NLS. Good food but way too much red poop and made my filters all red. 

Went to Dainichi. Bit better than NLS. Bit better colour and cleaner filters. 

I use Northfin now. Excellent food. Colour and growth is awesome. Fish finnage actually gets longer. The best part about it is less poop as it’s only got one filler which is used as a binding agent, water and filter are cleaner than any other food. 

My thoughts as well, I stopped using NLS years ago with the same issues you have.

Dainichi and Northfin are good foods.

Archived