Aquarium Seal Failed - Replacing in wall aquarium

Nav

Hey guys,

I apologize for this long post and many questions in advance haha....

So I had a bit of a disaster last week, came home from a work trip and after about 3 hours of sleep heard my in wall aquarium spraying water everywhere. It stopped leaking once the water got to about 1/3rd the volume and the sump was completely drained.  I managed to save all the fish (it was an emergency so I bought a 4ft tank to move all my fish into and the cheapest filtration I could - not ideal but better then them dying). The house will be fixed under insurance so not as concerned about that, but now my issue is, replacing my aquarium.

I have called around and have had a lot of companies suggest replacing my tank rather then repairing it (to try and reduce chance of further leaks). The tank that had issues is  1560mm long x 740mm tall x640mm deep (12mm glass).

Can anyone recommend a quality tank builder in Sydney who could make me a replacement and possibly install it at a reasonable cost (plumbing, etc)? There were a few things I always disliked about my old tank, the placement of the holes (drain/return were located beside each other on same side of tank, I think having water flow across tank would be better (correct me if I'm wrong). Also would love to have a drilled hole half way down for draining the tank more easily for water changes. 

I'm also tossing up changing my sump design (matrix style sump) and getting a new one built at same time with lids, better placement of compartments/space for bio balls, easier to clean, etc) and plumbing my ecotech vectra m1 pump to run in-line instead of taking up space in the sump. Good/bad idea?

And finally, anyone have any idea what the best way to get rid of the old tank would be? No way I can carry the tank out myself or transport it (I think its 200+ kg and I still have gravel in it i need to get out but haven't - kind of lost the will to after spending the weekend trying to get the water out of the house.

Regards,

Nav

Archived