Filtration for a 6x2x2.5

Cichlid Pete

Hi Guys,

I’m after some advice on adding another FX6 to my 6x2x2.5ft display tank.

I currently have 1 FX6 which is plumbed through the base of the tank. Both the inlet and outlet are 1 foot from either end.

I was thinking of using both of the existing holes drilled in the base of the tank as the inlets and coming over the top with outlets at either end.

My question is, how do I have the outlets positioned to effectively circulate the water.

The main reason for adding the filter is to remove the air pump and add more filtration as the fish grow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Peter

I would never remove air as it's an extremely good backup and easy to visually check it's on. That's just my opinion though. 

Why don't you add some powerheads to boost the internal circulation. No other canister and extra maintenance required. 

• 2 months later...

So one outlet over the top and the other outlet through the base at the same side of the tank? The intakes the same at the other end?

Ive got a similar setup with 2 canisters, although ive got 4 holes plumbed through the base. In and out at one end of the tank and same on the other side. I’ve kept the pipes low in the tank so they are not so visible. 

I think canisters work best when inlet and outlet access the tank over the top

Drilling holes in the base of the tank create a weakness where water pressure is greatest....any failure of those holes/fitting or canister would lead to the tank draining

I agree with fish dance re keeping aeration.

Extra canister wont increase water quality unless it is chemical filtration and that's not Good to do full time.

Water Quality is best improved by gravel vac and increasing frequency of water changes....

Just my opinion....;)

Archived