Breeding Tank Sponges

Slipshodman

Hi All, Just after some advice I have set up 2 breeding tanks , a 6ft (300 ltr) and 4ft (200 ltr) , i am going to run them off sponges as from what i have read its more cost effective than a canister and creates a hive of food for little fry So my question is i have found 2 types of XY-380 sponges , high flow and not high flow. (Will probably end up getting them from a sponsor but examples below) I believe the sponge size is probably correct but which is better for breeding tanks, the tanks will have a very small layer of sand but no other filters etc I was also going to run two of each in each tank so i can move one to a grow out tank as needed as it wall be already seeded to the fry current environment If i have got it wrong totally also please let me know. All advice is appreciated Cheers Oh and at this stage both thanks will be for Severums as i have two breeding pairs

20180407_175857.jpg

20180407_175929.jpg

Guest johnw83

hi mate i would run two medium sized sponge filters in each tank they work very well for breeding fish cheers john u all so know me as johnbetta

The high flow sponges are much coarser and don't clog as fast and definitely easier to clean. I prefer those (only) as I have many tanks and fry will eat off anything but the finer sponge is probably best for your situation. 

They aren't very expensive, I buy XY-380 sponges for $2.85 in 100 lot quantities so you could just get both? 

Archived