Cuprisorb

Bradc

Has anyone used this after dosing their tank with copper? Ive got a tank of peps and the snails are out of hand even with loaches in the tank. Would like to add say kusuri wormer or some snail rid and wipe the snails then add shrimp (once removing the loaches) but dont wanna kill the inverts with traces of copper still in the water. 

Says 2 weeks then should be fine. Interested to hear peoples thoughts.

If you are planning on removing the fish anyway, one method I've heard of from someone whose advise I highly respect is to remove the fish and any plants, and dose the tank with high levels of salt.  The salt knocks off the snails, but isn't too hard on the beneficial bacteria, so you retain a cycled tank.  Salt is far easier to remove from your tank than copper! Having dealt with the consequences of heavy metal poisoning in fish many years ago, I'm now VERY conscious of avoiding pretty much any copper-based products.  

My concern about a product like Cuprisorb is that its only treating copper in solution.  One of the issues with copper in the tank is that it reacts with other compounds in the water and settles into your substrate as a precipitate.  It can sit there for a long time, but if the water conditions change for some reason, like a swing in pH (at water change time or if buffering is depleted), the copper comes back into the water column.  That could potentially be months down the track.  Yes, if the material is still in the filter and not depleted, then you are likely fine, but you would really need to consider it as a long term prospect.

Personally, I'd try to find an alternative that means you aren't putting the nasties into the tank in the first place, rather than relying on removing them later.  

Ive used kusuri wormer to wipe out MTS in a tank years ago. Im unsure if it has any copper in it? Or is it another compund in the wormer that kills the snails.

The tank has my peppermint BN in it and im putting shrimp in it aswell only put loaches in for the snails. Ive used kusuri with BN before aswell with no issues.

Cuprisorb states that it will remove from substrate as well but i have no experience with it.

I mights be able to move the BN out into another tank and do the salt treatment. Wonder what salinity i would need to wipe these snails.

I'm pretty sure Kusari is a flubendazole based wormer.  If that's the case, its not copper.  I've heard very mixed reviews on its use as a snail killer though.  Some seem to have had success with it, but many say it hasn't worked.  Its relatively expensive.  

Yeah like i said it worked for me. But if its case by case i might try the salt. Abit of messing around removing all the fish etc but if it keeps the cycle etc im happy to do it.

Just reef salt or table salt? Be great if it works quickly and a couple big water changes and its back to fresh. Over these snails really annoying lol

The only way I was able to remove mts was to strip down the tank boil all the rocks for 10 -15 minutes and bomb the tank with the Seachem copper parasite treatment double dosage with the heater on as high as it would go and the filters running for a week.  Then drained it washed it with bleach and filled the tank with water and added a bottle of bleach  had it running for another week.  Drained and rinsed it then added both purigen and cuprisorb and ran the tank for another 2 weeks.

Then started all over again with new substrate but if you want to keep the old substrate then you would have to boil it for a good 10 minutes.

Yes it may have been overkill what I did but it was the only way I was able to get rid of all the mts and not have them come back. 

Btw snail rid and other treatments to kill snails but none of them worked to kill the mts that’s why I went to this extreme.

My experience with MTS is they close up watertight when water conditions are not favourable, emerging once more when okay. This includes salt, copper, even dehydration (8 years gravel storage). This is my own personal experience, not relaying internet myths.

The simplest method I found was to spread the gravel out thinly on tin roof sheets on concrete driveway in the hot hot sun for a few days. This cooks them even though they are sealed shut. If you only have a few buckets you could try an oven. I tried pouring boiled water but that wasn't hot enough. Perhaps if I used a steel 200L drum over a fire. 

I havent got MTS this time thank God but I've got whirlpool red horn snails is the closest I can find to any description on Google. They are literally the size of a tick and are everywhere and have the same look as red horns or rams but no colour and smaller. Look terrible. 

I just want them out so I can put shrimp in with my BN and move the loaches to the tank that has my other. 

• 2 months later...

Did you get rid of those snails?  Whilst I did get rid of the MTS my sister gave me some plants and I didn’t see the snails on them and they are the same as what you have Brad

Nah i haven't mate but i haven't tried anything either to be honest. Ill be moving all my tanks to my fish room in a few months once setup and the whole tank and driftwood will be getting a strip down while the fish will go into their new home. New wood no substrate lots of caves etc. So not fussed at the moment. 

• 6 months later...

I had to bomb my fry tanks with bleach to get rid of both the tiny ramshorns and pond snails.  They are all free of them next will be the 6’ again and then the 5’. Though I have notice the reduction of pond snails in the 5’ since I’ve had the ventralis in the tank it’s just a pity it has also MTS and I would love to know how it and now the 6’ has them😡

Archived