Sign in to follow this  
Cichlidrookie12

Otopharynx tetrastigma body shape

Can someone shed some light regarding the body shape of Otopharynx tetrastigma. I got a tetrastigma from the auction last night. It appears to have a short body. I did a google search and appears to have longer body shape. I have attached some pictures for reference. 

B0F1B1BF-BEF9-472A-8BF8-0308B99348F3.jpeg

1AEE3436-48DE-4DED-923F-4C7EB618BD33.jpeg

C0DD3618-CA54-494C-8478-B878FB6C64C7.jpeg

64AC7C20-D525-446B-B4A2-9F44EEF9C35D.jpeg

12635879-FF98-4E3E-9041-889234CE0E19.jpeg

Definitely a  tetrastigma, does look just a touch short, Guessing its a small fish  2 inch?   i have one at 3 and a half inch size, its male and breathtaking colours, face has a nice green sheen, body is blue green sheen, fins are nice red. 

Wish you well.

10 hours ago, Roos said:

Definitely a  tetrastigma, does look just a touch short, Guessing its a small fish  2 inch?   i have one at 3 and a half inch size, its male and breathtaking colours, face has a nice green sheen, body is blue green sheen, fins are nice red. 

Wish you well.

Like it mentioned previously I purchased him from the NSW cichlid society auction. It’s meant to be an adult approximately 6-7cm maybe even bigger. But i was surprised when I looked at his body in the morning when I turned the light on. He looks a bit deformed to me. But then again I’m no expert that’s why I am here looking for answers. 

Thank you for the reply Roos. I hope your tank is going  well.

All male tank is a challenge for sure.

Finding out many things and learning, thanks.

I am no expert myself but apparently they get to 6-7 inch 12 to 14 cm when adult, With so much more colour, sorry to hear they told you its a adult. Also worse that you said he looks deformed, that's sad mate.

Again wish you well.

Next time I’ll know better to check the fish before I buy. But it was double bagged and plus I didn’t have any clue what tetrastigma looks like. Maybe I’ll ask one of the guys who runs the auction and see what’s up with that. 

Proportioning of a fish can look very skewed when looking through aquarium bags (curved, wet, etc)
So it would be pretty tough to pick up on inspection - but if you had the lot number they might be able to look in to it for you.

He might be slightly stunted or have a bit of a spinal problem, but he looks healthy enough, and I'm sure will look great in your display.
And 99% of people viewing it won't have a damn clue that his body might be a bit short.

4 hours ago, Ducksta said:

Proportioning of a fish can look very skewed when looking through aquarium bags (curved, wet, etc)
So it would be pretty tough to pick up on inspection - but if you had the lot number they might be able to look in to it for you.

He might be slightly stunted or have a bit of a spinal problem, but he looks healthy enough, and I'm sure will look great in your display.
And 99% of people viewing it won't have a damn clue that his body might be a bit short.

Hey ducksta thank you for the reply and sharing the info. Yeh I am willing to grow him out and see how he turns up. Hopefully he starts colouring up soon. 

I do have the lot number and maybe next auction I’ll inform them.