Pseudotropheus Polit

Bradc

Are these sought after in the hobby? Ive been thinking of buying some from a mate whos wanting out of the hobby but he has found it hard to move fry on. He doesn't really travel to major cities like newcastle or sydney to try and sell and i seem to go there abit.

Be nice if i knew i could move fry on before taking them on.

Polits are great! I used to have a small colony which I grew out from fry from Ben near Newcastle at the time - maybe 2005-06?

The male was really clean looking and displayed and bred really well.

They were a little difficult to sell at times as the female was simply a brown fish to most people. I found it was mainly fellow hobbyists that were keen to buy them. I did sell a few times to my local aquarium but they had trouble selling them on.

I was looking at one stage at getting back into them but had noticed that there are a heap of pretty ordinary ones getting around - mainly put off by the barring in the males and the 'caps' don't seem to look as clean anymore. I don't know if they have been crossed with something else at some point to get the barring.

That to me, is looking like a really good quality polit pair, Undercoverbrother.

I agree with the advice above as well - keep what you like. If you find you're having trouble selling fry, I'd simply stop raising them for a bit.

Cheers

Joel

I had Polits years ago and they are great little fish. Males can be super hard on their girls. There was a large problem years ago when some suspect cross breeds were floating around. I think someone mixed some Rusties into them from memory.

They also lost some of their charm when the Membe Deep turned up as the females were more colorful in the Membe's. I haven't seen either fish for a long time now

5 hours ago, Josh said:

They also lost some of their charm when the Membe Deep turned up as the females were more colorful in the Membe's. I haven't seen either fish for a long time now

I was thinking about Membe Deep, earlier today, the last time I saw them was around 2013/14 - I believe John was successful in breeding them. I never saw them since, I would love a group to breed :(

I keep a colony of polits simply because I love them.  Seeing them in the lake at Lion's Cove was one of the real highlights of my trip to Malawi, so they have a special place in my heart. 

I've raised fry on a few occasions from my group and have found very little interest in them from shops.  Its really sad because I think they have a lot to offer.  They seem to have a reputation for being aggressive,  but kept in the right numbers in a correctly set-up aquarium I'd say they are less aggressive than a lot of other mbuna species in the hobby.   I even have spare males dotted around in some of my hap tanks where they cause no issues whatsoever.  The males will "defend" a pile of rocks and show his dramatic colours even without females present.

I can't imagine they will ever become a bread-and-butter species in the hobby, but it would be pretty sad if they were to die out in Australia.

Sort of the reason i want to get these from my mate. The males are stunning and if lost it would be ashame. I dont have the connetion you have to them. I cant say that i "love" them in the way i do other species but they seem to be getting harder to find. 

Thought if i got some and were able to breed and get some fry growing id be able to move easy and help restock them within the hobby. Ill possibly still get them and just raise a few batches of fry and see how i go with moving them on and if i cant atleast ive still got a cool fish im my garage.

What ratios do you have mate? Im unsure what my mate has i think he said he had 6 in total with fry so im guessing ill get a less then ideal ratio to begin with.

• 8 months later...

Archived