peacock cichlids keeping hard?

Roos

Hi all I am new to this forum,

Just like to ask a question, I have had a earth eaters cichlid tank before and I loved it, never had any issues,  I have never had African cichlids so this is new to me.

I wish to restart my 5x2x2 tank again, was thinking going earth eaters again until I saw some utube video's on African peacock's and dam they look so nice !!!

My question is keeping only peacock's and a few haps as I see there called going to be a problem? {males only} eg: will they fight each other and make life hard for me? is this going to be expected and the norm with these fish?

Also I noticed on utube videos they overstock a lot to keep aggression down, I don't  wish to overstock.......so yeah....

Please help wish some advice on this issue. If it is true that its inevitable to have fighting issues with these fish I might not go this route and go earth eaters again. 

Thanks very much in advance for your input on this issue, must admit peacocks are just amazing with all there beautiful colours. And haps...

I am thinking about stocking roughly 15 fish. Hopefully not full adults just nice young males to grow up with all together.

thanks mate, i decided to go ahead, i got  some absolutely stunning young 3 inch peacocks and a few haps and 1 electric yellow and 1 Tranmitichromis Intermedius. ( all males) < looks so nice ! all look amazingly nice! 

Bloody lovly looking fish and its  only day 1....how much better will they look in a year....... :)

I was very lucky i found a local breeder who had every peacock and hap etc i  ever wanted and more...., for way below aquarium pries.  :) 

got 14 fish so far.... might leave it at 14.... then again....breeder did have about 4 more beautiful peacocks i might get and about 5 or 6 others that he said i should get.....

i am happy with the 14, there very active. you really think i should have more fish n tank? and if so why?   just for looks ? 

Thanks for reply!

IMHO the electric yellow is a mistake as it means you cannot feed high astax foods without it going brown/black. If you can swap it out with benga/sunshine peacocks, you can feed these aggressive colour foods and all yer fish with look insanely pretty. Never hurts to hit them with rgb or heavy blue/red L.E.D. lights to max it out :)

Then again....  a single yellow wouldnt stop me.

Geez.......   my peacocks haps are all around 3 inch in size, today i added 4 Siamese algae eaters and 3 clown loaches all around 2 1/2 inch size.

My peacocks haps chases the all over the place to eat them.....  lights were on.

Please any-tips to how i should add dither/catfish ? without being eaten .....dam......never seen this before. my american earth-eaters never behaved like this.

these peacocks/haps are predators bad!  

like to put in a red tail black shark in also.... hope he doesn't get eaten as well.  This is insane and i cant stop laughing, my 3 clown loaches might be dead soon sadly........ouch!!! 

Any fish when added will have a frantic way of swimming....  this signals they are prey and most cichlids will have a go at them. Even gently chasing fish around with ya arm to distract them from the new comers you just added will often be enough. That first swim from surface to rocks is 90% of the danger involved.

This is what i got so far in my 5x2x2 tank.

1 Orange peacock

1 Electric yellow

1 Venusus

1 Red empress

1 Red ruiben

1 Tetrastima

1 Marble peacock

1 Sulfar crested peacock

1 Electric blue

1 White knight

1 Benga peacock

1 Jocobfreibergi Peacock

1 Red fin Kadanga- Borleyi

All males. All 3inch give or take 1cm.

suggestions please for maybe 2 or 3 more nice looking  African cichlids ? only haps/peacocks.

Thanks very much!!

Added today 

Taiwan reef

Haplichromis similus

Red flametail

Red shoulder

Neon blue

all done, wont be adding anymore.

Hope they get along as they grow..........i will see .........

Also.......

Ageofaqarium  when u guys getting new life spectrum cliched pellets please?

I used to always order all kinds of stuff from you guys, will again.

There are other options apart from NLS, in fact many of us have moved away from NLS, your filters will thank you.  

In my personal experience, Dainichi, Extreme and Northfin are all good foods without the negative filter effects of NLS.

Thanks for  the info Sam, I will definitely order Nothfin and Extreme !!! Always thought NLS was the norm staple food.

On a side note guys,about 2 days ago my Yellow Benga Peacock seems to chase my Tawan reef a bit, leaves all the other fish alone,  cant figure out why.....

And just happened 1 day ago, my Red shoulder Peacock chases my Blue Neon Peacock when ever he gets in sight, Shame cause the Blue Neon is double the size of the Red shoulder and he apparently supposed to colour up really nice, again also the red shoulder leaves everyone else alone.

Do you think thy will settle down with time? Just be patient?

Do you think all the Mongolian gold vine i have in tank is making them territorial?

Tank looks nice with all the vine, fish weave in and around  the vines.

There is nothing wrong with NLS, it provides size and colour the caveat being excess filter sludge and waste and therefore extra maintenance,  in my opinion there are options which provide the same colour and size without the blocking up your filters with excess waste sludge.  

nah no lip  locking at all, seems more to happen when my Taiwan reef goes past the Yellow benga's main area where he hangs out.

And all the chasing is not excessive at all.

Maybe i just worry to much.

Though i have a feeling if i make my tank more  open it might lesson the aggression?  eg: just a few rocks here and there.

Thanks Sam.

Oh, I would not worry to much, he is just defending his turf, I would leave it as it is. 

My Taiwan reef is called Bigred, he rules my tank, but is a pacifier too, the only fish that fight aggressively are my Placidichromis Electra, two fought to the death and every so often the other two lip lock and duke it out.

Archived