mylochromis plagiotaenia

malawi sand diver

I have noticed that there have been a few of these available of recent times.

I have had a look at the fish and they appear different to what I have seen online overseas. Interested to hear people's opinions.

If they are not mylochromis, is it possible they could be another rare species that was brought in that we should identify, as it is possible they came here under that name?

I'm told that these have been floating around for a few years now.  Some have recently shown up in an Adelaide shop which I believe were bought through a wholesaler, so may be from the same source as the ones you've located.  Apparently they are a mbuna/hap hybrid of some description.  I'm kicking myself now for not having taken photos.

Hi thanks for that. I remember when these first arrived, I think about 2 years ago. At that time, there was a lot of new fish around. I think its possible it might just have been labelled wrong, but yeah my first thoughts were that it did look like an mbuna cross possibly labidochromis hongi. But the hap it was crossed with must have been elongated in that case, and interesting dark splotch under the eye.

Archived