3 foot- 40 gal stocking question

bobthefish

Hello all,

I'm trying to help my daughter (13) plan her first African tank. She is mad on Malawi, to put it mildly. She's got a spare 3 foot aquarium- it's not a breeder- 36x16x18 I believe. We were wondering if any of the following combinations would be acceptable. We're in Tassie, and from what I can tell it's pretty hard to find a wide variety of fish down here, so we're limited in our range.

She wants something relatively peaceful, and extremely colourful.

Here's what we've come up with:

-a colony of electric yellows (maybe 6-7) and a colony (1m/2f) of maingano

-a saulosi species tank (maybe 15-17 fry- let them work it out as they grow) (my choice)

-a colony of electric yellows and a couple of smaller peacocks

or...

-a colony of electric yellows, 1 male maingano, 1 male pseudotropheous scolofi and 1 male Cyno Afra (her current preference)

Are all of these doable in the tank she has? Is one better than others? Is there anything we haven't thought of?

Thank you so much for your time- I've only kept Africans in 5 and 8 foot aquariums, and it was a lot easy to figure out stock combinations in them!

Cheers, Bob and Laura.

Tank that size id keep it species orientated. Salousi would be a good choice for variations in colour from male to female. Demasoni are relatively small mbuna but not sure if your area has them if your limited for variety.

Archived