Stocking advice

Benj

Hi all,

This is my first post so thanks for the ad to the group, I have picked up lots of great info in these threads already.

After years out of the hobby my kids discovered the old tank downstairs and want to get it going again, so after testing our tap water and showing the kids some pics of fish that will suit we have decided to give Mbuna a try. I have done some online research and have come up with the following list with some of the main criteria being smaller species (200 litre 4ft tank), lower aggression, good range of colours, Dimorphic if possible and readily available. In other words good beginner Mbuna. 

Cynotilapia Zebroides Cobue

Iodotropheus Sprengerae Rusties

Labidochromis Caeruleus Electric Yellow

Labidochromis Joanjohnsonae Exasperatus OR Pseudotropheus Socolofi Pindani

Groups of 1M to 3F would be the aim. Is this correct? 

Are the two Lab types likely to crossbreed as the Exasperatus would be preferred over the Pindani? 

Does this seem about right for numbers for this size tank ( 4ft 200L filtration is 2 x eheim 2213 canisters) or is there room for more if something special came along in the future?

I have seen/read a lot about tanks needing a "good" boss, should I be including a single larger peaceful Hap type species for this purpose?

I live about 4 hours from the nearest shop stocking these species, but I have noticed that buying live fish online means buying unsexed fish. If I make the trip to Sydney to buy fish will I be able to buy older fish in the correct ratio if in stock or is it still a take what you get type deal meaning buying bigger numbers and weeding out extra males ( I would really like to avoid this if possible)

Sorry for such a long first post but we have lots of questions! Thanks in advance for any responses.

Archived