Firemouth fry with parents

Skyedge

I have a pair of firemouth cichlids currently in a 4ft tank with their offsprings (no other fish). Will the parrent eat the fry? They are freeswimming but still very tinny. I prefer to let them grow with the parrent. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your inputs

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hard to say as all fish are different. If you notice them starting to spawn again that could mean the fry are doomed. If it's they're first spawn I'd be leaving them with the parents and if they end up getting eaten at least youl know when to remove the next batch. Btw they are stunning fire mouths easily the best I've seen in Australia by far. 

It might take them a couple of tries to work it out - but worth sticking with it.
(They aren't step breeders so you will have to move the fry when the parents want to spawn again.)
If the parents do the work for you you should get good numbers of the fish up to about the 1cm mark with very little effort on your part (good food and clean water)
Then take out what you want to grow out til 'sellable' size to a grow out tank. 
It's often a good to leave just a few in the parent tank so the parents maintain the bond - even though they might knock them off one day when they spawn.

If after a few attempts they are still not raising them to a level you are happy with then look in to taking a % of the spawn early and raising them on their own.
With Americans who never "got it" you can use a bit of airline to slowly siphon out anywhere from 20-80% of free swimmers in to a grow out tank and work on raising them yourself.
This is generally harder work as you need to be very aware of everything going on, put more effort in to feeding and such.

you get better growth in the fry that the parents raise as opposed to removing them

Firemouths are usually great parents ..... you could also consider putting a mirror against the end of the tank

this gives them something to defend against even if it is their reflection

Archived