Does Matrix need Replacing

ACTcichlidlover

Hi everyone,

For all those who use Matrixi in their filters, do you replace it every 1 or 2 years or just rinse it in aquarium water every time you clean the filter?

I have seen a youtube video and the person whose uploaded the video was advising that matrix only last 18 months to 2 years at most.

Just after opinions from you knowlegable fishkeepers.

Steve

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply.

I had read the Seachem forum response on this issue but noting they own the product their opinion could be biased, although advising fish keepers to purchase more product every 2 years would not hurt their sales :-)

I was keen to know if other fish keepers had replaced their matrix or not and I appreciate your advice.

Steve

Old matrix loses some of its internal surface area just because of mulm build up. Almost every single biomedia in the hobby has the same issue. So yes, you can keep adding new bio media to ensure theres huge amounts of surface area for new microbes to colonise.....  but as long as you have a bio filtration bacteria colony thats in ballance with the waste produced by your fish, all is good :)  Even a scunged up old ceramic ring still has a rather decent surface area, matrix is even better and heck continuum and marine pure have produced even more crazy media.

Archived