Canister filters – Aquael, Eheim or Fluval

Icemist

Hi,

I am after some recommendation of Canister filters. I want to over filter the tank.

I have a 250 litre tank running a few discus.

I am looking at a new filter and was considering:

Aquael Unimax 500;

Fluval 306 or 406; or

Eheim Classic 2217 (600).

Especially interested in comments on the Unimax 500.

Thanks in advance

for me the Eheim  2217 or classic 600 same filter

mine have been running for years and never a problem

guessing the tanks is 120cm standard size

not a fan of smaller Fluval

Aquael make good products but haven't heard much on this filter

If your intent in "Over filtering" is to give you fish optimum conditions.....you would be better to increase water changes.....

I've heard of discus breeders who do almost 100% water changes morning and afternoon

Lots of chemicals/toxins don't get filtered out.........so like in nature....best solution is to replace the water

Putting a filter on the tank with a bigger pump just increases water flow which may actually be counter productive....stressing fish that don't like high water flow

On 6 December 2017 at 1:27 PM, Rod54 said:

If your intent in "Over filtering" is to give you fish optimum conditions.....you would be better to increase water changes.....

I've heard of discus breeders who do almost 100% water changes morning and afternoon

Lots of chemicals/toxins don't get filtered out.........so like in nature....best solution is to replace the water

Putting a filter on the tank with a bigger pump just increases water flow which may actually be counter productive....stressing fish that don't like high water flow

110% agree with this

I don’t have any experience with the Aquael filters, but I would rate the Eheim filters above the Fluvals by a significant margin.  I’ve run a number of Fluval canisters over the years, and quickly moved every one of them on. 

Eheim classics are real workhorses of filters.  The design hasn’t substantially changed in decades, but they are still big sellers.  In my view that’s says a lot about the design.    But if you can afford it, then I would recommend that you consider the Eheim Professional series filters instead.  They are significantly easier to maintain, and much cheaper to run.  Remember your filter is running 24/7, so the cost to power that motor adds up over time.  The modern Eheim Pros have motors which are far more power efficient that the older Eheims, or any of the Fluval offerings.  Build quality is such that you can also expect many, many years of service from the Eheims.

If your bank balance doesn’t stretch to a new Eheim Pro, consider looking at the secondhand market for one.  You can often find near-new ones at very good prices.  Alternatively, I’d also recommend considering the AquaOne range of canisters.  For cheaper filters, they do a very good job. 

I’m currently running 14 canisters – 12 are Eheim Pro II or Pro III, and two AquaOne.

I too agree wholeheartedly with Rod54's comments regarding “over filtering”.

• 9 months later...

Archived