Reactive ion OH, how is it formed?

Cichlabxr

Just read a somewhat confusing article about the use of OH in filtration of aquarium water.  Had never come across this before so. yep, googled it and found this.

The OH radical is linked with the production of H2O in molecular clouds. Studies of OH distribution in Taurus Molecular Cloud-1 (TMC-1)[23] suggest that in dense gas, OH is mainly formed by dissociative recombination of H3O+. Dissociative recombination is the reaction in which a molecular ion recombines with an electron and dissociates into neutral fragments . :confused:

I cannot for the life of me work out how this is produced in water.

I assume you’ve seen this one?

https://hydrawayblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/03/hydro-pure-technology-an-introduction/

The “technology” has been around for many years.  I looked into it a while back.  Only tests I could find which I felt seemed to have any degree of science behind them were ones published on the manufacturer’s site, and appeared to my reading to demonstrate that the technology didn’t work in the medium to longer term.  I can’t seem to locate them now – perhaps been removed?  I thought it was interesting at the time.  It seemed more that they were trying to baffle pundits with science rather than provide proof of the effectiveness of the product. 

I know that in reading reviews on forums I kept seeing a recurring theme.  If the technology was as good as they claim, then why hasn’t this type of filtration revolutionised the market?  Why are we not seeing sound, independent, scientific results that support the manufacturer’s claims? Surely the technology would have implications in fields such as aquaculture, and appear in the literature there?

If you are able to dig up anything concrete to back up the claims I’d be very interested to read it!

H3O also known as hydronium typically exists in acidic environments, meaning there is additional hydrogen ions present in the water. In neutral water (H2O), your acid (H+) and base (OH-) are in equal concentrations, giving a pH of 7. When you add extra hydrogen ions into the equation, they can bond to the oxygen atom to form H3O (3 hydrogens, 1 oxygen).

As you can see from the regular water molecule, you have both H and OH, which make up a standard water molecule of H2O. All your article is saying is that in the clouds, your hydronium ion (H3O) is kicking off a hydroxide particle (OH-) in the prescence of an election.

How this has any relation to filtration, makes little connection to me :huh:. Hydroxide has many different occurrences and can exist for many, many different reasons. 

Hydroxide.gif

Good article humbug. It's basically forming hydroxide particles to react with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Considering the biological filters can already handle the first two, the nitrate reduction appears to be the only benefit of such a system. 

There's no reason, why this isn't successful. You don't see half the freshwater systems having refugiums now do you? It's a fact they work, yet why aren't the applied in all systems?? - Likely because the fish/corals in marine systems will die, whereas in freshwater, the organisms will suffer long term affects that just aren't noticeable to warrant the use of such methods.

Archived