Red cap lethrinops

Blue yonder

I've been offered a colony of red cap lethrinops and have been breeding several time but in the last year they haven't been breeding the person who has them has had them for about 5,6 years are they getting to old too for breeding any help on this we'll be much appreciated 

thanks 

I got my first group of red caps in early 2012, but a couple of years later I lost them with a tank crash.  The group I have now were from bubs spawned in late 2012, so are now approaching 5 years of age.  They are breeding regularly, but perhaps not as prolifically as they were when younger.

How is the colony you are interested being housed?  Lethrinops are a relatively touchy species to keep.  They are very soft, and don’t cope well with anything but the very softest of tankmates.  To do well, they really need to be kept in a reasonable sized group in a species-only tank.  If the ones you are looking at are housed with other fish it may explain a lack of breeding. 

I’d also be asking about water conditions.  Does the current owner work at maintaining good general and carbonate hardness in the tank?  Water conditions may be impacting breeding success. 

Out of interest, I did a google search on “lethrinops life span” and got varying results from 8 years, 10-12 years, to 15 years.    Based on that you would think that happy, healthy fish should still be breeding at age 5-6 years.

There tank mates are trophues and I did think that they might not be helping  with breeding activities 

water condition are good I no he keep good water and change water weekly 

If I did get them there tank mates would be dimidiochromis compressiceps in a 6x2x2  they might not be the best tank mates  for them  but saying that dimidiochromis are not that bad 

thanks for your reply 

Archived