New pleco

Bradc

Just bought this pleco and has these abrasions i guess you'd call it. Wondering if its from a heater or hopefully not some kind of infection. Hes about 30 odd cms. Seem to be moving fine etc for just being introduced to my tank.

Old mate i bought it off had it in a box before i got there so didnt see the quality of the tank.

Agree with Chris.
If it was hiding in a log, he probably picked the log up and and shook it in to a bucket.
Keep in mind fish live in their own excrement - so once it has a graze it is more than likely going to have some sort of bacterial inflammation. 
But a healthy fish will shake it off.
Keep an eye on spreading or getting worse.
If you're really concerned about it being problematic or contagious you could get some broad spectrum medication that is catfish friendly.
If it was me I'd probably do a water change and dump a half a cup of salt in or something. Could also try some melafix.

About 15min before you posted this i paid for medication off andrew following  his advice. In hindsight i probably should of done exactly that duck. Was just extremely nervous as my display has a fair amount of $$ worth of fish in it now. Well this $80 pleco has now cost me $150 through meds and food for the meds.. serves me right for buying off a bloke who seemed sus when i picked up the fish. 

Ill learn 1 day.

Mate, I'm definitely not out to be contrary with anything Andrew is saying.
And if there is one guy I would trust to NOT try to sell me something I don't really need it is absolutely him.
A few extra bucks for peace of mind is probably worth it, for sure, given it is in a tank already with expensive tank mates.
It's also easier for me to do the 'wait and see' because I can stop by and see Andrew any day of the week and get what I need. 
Got to have a bit more foresight being a bit more remote.

Yeah i trust him hence me taking hes word hes a top bloke and know hes stuff. But i could of tryed salting and other stuff like you mentioned. But you are right with being remote.

Also not having a great deal of experience with disease and fish problems like this puts me straight onto google which doesnt really help. Apart from this forum and others but reply times aren't the quickest generally as well so i get abit worried about the unknown. 

Anyway thanks for the help guys as always appreciate it.

Archived