P. saulosi breeders - need help

goanna

Hi all - need some advice

I have purchased a bunch of good size P. saulosi from 4 different places and successfully established a colony. One was an adult male that I have now removed (to see if there are other males) and the rest were purchased as girls. One young fish has turned a little blue, but many of the others show faint bars and some black on the dorsal fin from time to time and some are displaying to each other. I know this species can be male heavy, but have some questions.

1. Do females circle each other and get faint bars as a threat display?

2. Do dominant females establish territories and show faint bars to defend the site?

Would appreciate any advice. Every time I think I have worked out the sexes they surprise me. Obviously, I am concerned I have mostly males. 

Note: I have vent sexed them and believe most are females. 

Thanks for your help

Thanks for that. I will now just let them settle. 

There are some terrible looking saulosi around in terms of yellow coverage, so it would be nice to get these ones to breed. 

These were always a favorite of mine and I did breed them for many years. As Doug has said it is completely plausible that the females will look the way you have described and act the way they are.

Archived