Help my tank is leaking!

wattletree

Came home to a huge puddle on the floor,it looks to be leaking from the front corner. I am trying to work out the best option as it is a 5x2x2 tank heaps of rocks etc,and I don't want to set up another tank and drain this one. Has anyone used the gold label seal product? I have heard great reports and have purchased some just wanted to know of any feedback and if this doesn't work has anyone successfully repaired a tank?

The gold seal silicon does work underwater but silicon doesn't stick to silicon so you would be trying to slap a cover over the leak and hope water pressure holds it. That's not the best idea as the old silicon may continue to fail causing a bigger hole/leak suddenly. You could add a glass strip which is a more secure patch but totally draining and removing old silicon is best.

One thing you can do is drop the water level as low as convenient asap which reduces the water pressure which will help your existing leak and future patch.  

• 3 weeks later...

Ha ha I think I have a big enough tank to handle chopstick Mike! I spend enough time on it now! Update- gold seal didn't work? I agree I should have got all the silicon off, anyway I have decided to dismantle and buy a new one,I think it is easier as I don't know anything about re- doing the silicon and think the safest option would be to go new and get another 17 years of no leaks.My questions begin:

1. Before I set up a temporary smaller tank for my fish with my current canister and some of the existing substrate and rock

does anyone know of anyone that might come to my house and repair my empty tank? Paid job of course

2.Does anyone have any tips to keep my bacteria alive, will the above idea be enough?

3. Any suggestions for a good tank builder near me? Macarthur region,I was thinking Abyss?Any ideas?

I think that is all for now any suggestions will be appreciated,I know I seem like this is a big deal but my hubby and sons are not exactly helpful in this matter,supportive ,but not helpful lol!

On 6/15/2017 at 8:03 PM, wattletree said:

Ok thanks, the leak is actually about 1/4 of the way down so for the moment I have been able to drop the water and stop the leak until I decide how to fix it,thanks again!

Since you have 3/4 of the tank full I would leave it as it is if you plan on buying another you can transfer everything over without killing any good bacteria plus keep most the water then you can top it up a bit at a time !

(you would need to transfer water rocks and substrate into tubs and fish in another tub. if your bath tub is close use it just rinse it clean!

If you chose to repair the tank use an aquarium store to house your fish just use a tube for your filter to run 

nobody can repair a silicone leak like that without removing the hole piece of glass and removing all silicone from that section before re installing it (I think strip hole tank)

if sobody tells you they can they won't be able to guarantee it won't leak

good luck 

not sure what fish you have size number agrresiveness but if you feel that you can house them in the tub or bath do so.if you have only one filter it limits splitting fish into 2 or 3 tubs

Thanks ,just one problem the new tank has to go in the exact same place as the existing one so hard to transfer at once,but I have got a few quotes it's not going to cost as much as I thought . I have a three footer I am just checking now for leaks and will transfer as much as I can to keep the bacteria going with the canister and a couple of sponge filters that are running as well. Will that be enough? Will the rest of the substrate and rocks keep the bacteria if I put them in the rest of the existing water,or as much as I could fit anyway,and put an air stone in maybe a new plastic garbage bin? God this hobby can be expensive! But I love it!

I would do as Foti said and wait until the new tank is there, move it all into a container, set up new tank and fill. Filters will be fine and it would be done in a day easy.

Archived