Led lighting on a budget?

Nav

Hey all,

So I have been running aqualina lights on my five foot tank (had 4x55 watt 10k/450nm bulbs and a moonlight) for the last six years but it seems line my light enclosure has died on me. I've been looking for led replacements but not quite sure what I can get on a budget that would mimic my old lights at least.

My tank is pretty deep (3 ft deep) and has no plants. It's a african cichlid tank with a variety of mbuna. The advice I keep getting from lfs's is to go for radeons but that seems a bit over kill for lighting. I mainly want to mimic the actinic lighting and be able to hook up timers to both the moonlight and day lights.

Anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the aqualina mr range (150cm) but that's a bit pricey at around $550. Found some beamworks hi lumen on ebay but don't think they will be powerful enough to get to the depths of my tank.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry should have updated, I'm planning to buy a mr series led aqualina (custom job) five foot. The guys from aqualina came back to me with a few recommendations. I hadn't realised they could do custom jobs as well.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I know this post is s few months old but thought I'd mention there are some decent LED aquarium lights on eBay. I bought a 4 foot one for $80 and it looks great.

Old light

4cebb5db1143c2088d322874684cf077.jpg

New led light

f476b158e096fdc52a9058eea60d8335.jpg

New led light with moon light

ca27986e10071a93a5312d6eb75a497b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, should have replied earlier, ended up going for two sp120 pros from aqualina. Work a treat, just wish the software allowed you to sync profiles for lights between multiple lights.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Archived