How to set up 2x inlet and 2 x outlet on new tank set up

JohnnyGeelong

Hi

I'm setting up a new cichlid tank and have never used 2 canisters before on the same tank. It's a 5x2x2 and using a aqua one 2200 cf and a sun sun 304b .

The tank has 12mm glass around the edges protruding about 10cm there is a cut out in each back corner of the tank but only enough room for 1 inlet or outlet ( see pic )

Not really sure what to do as from the research I've done I know I need to have the 2 canister filters for sure so going with only 1 not an option. Some ideas I've had are

- maybe change the size of the inlet /outlet hoses on the sunsun to fit next to the aqua one

- maybe some sort of splitter where 2 outlet hoses join into 1 ( font know if that would work really )

- somehow take off the glass and get it cut by someone then silicone back on which seems like best option so far 530bcefbf57e9048e0f1bd7ab6276719.jpg

Happy to hear any ideas and also other people placement of outlet and inlet hoses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id just get a stanley knife and cut  of your lid supports that are in the way off from the tank and go to bunnings and buy a glass cutter and cut to suit and your lids then get some aquarium safe silicone and silicone the lid supports back in place.

Im not sure why you need 2 canisters but if you do, you could get one larger canister instead or replace one of them with an internal filter (or two).

If you really want to have 2 canisters, you can make custom returns that span your 10cm brace. Acrylic hollow tube or PVC pipe. Youtube videos will show you how to bend these conveniently. 

If you decide to cut your brace, i would drill a hole rather than cut a section out since its 10cm wide. Drilling is cheaper, faster,  keeps brace strength and stops fish escaping better than removing a section of brace. You could also drill the side or back wall below the brace similarly. 

6 hours ago, fishdance said:

Im not sure why you need 2 canisters but if you do, you could get one larger canister instead or replace one of them with an internal filter (or two).

If you really want to have 2 canisters, you can make custom returns that span your 10cm brace. Acrylic hollow tube or PVC pipe. Youtube videos will show you how to bend these conveniently. 

If you decide to cut your brace, i would drill a hole rather than cut a section out since its 10cm wide. Drilling is cheaper, faster,  keeps brace strength and stops fish escaping better than removing a section of brace. You could also drill the side or back wall below the brace similarly. 

Agree with fishdance.

But also, it's easier to mess with lids (and less costly if you make mistakes) - Replace your glass lids with that twin wall polycarbonate sheeting and shape them to fit whatever you need.

Archived